1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Men of Hood's Texas Brigade

Discussion in 'Other Notable Biographies' started by AUG351, Dec 1, 2013.

1. RangerJoe

RangerJoe Private

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. RangerJoe

RangerJoe Private

Do you know how I can get a copy of the photograph of Rufus King Elder in his uniform with his cousin? I know it's in Simpson's compendium. But the photograph you posted is much clearer and better. I need to have a decent size copy of it so I can take a digital photo. Can you do that for me? Make the photograph bigger? If you can, PLEASE make a copy for me and I'll send you my email address...THANK YOU!!!!

4. AUG351

AUG351 Captain Forum Host

Sorry, I'm having trouble finding the original source again; I think the website I had got it from have since removed it.
    And that's the largest version I have; I can enlarge the photo but it will reduce the clarity a bit.

rufusking1.png

CSA Today likes this.
  5. AUG351

Ran across these images of John Nathaniel Henderson, who served in Co. E, 5th Texas Infantry, on Tennessee State Library & Archives' online collection. @RangerJoe, if you don't have these already you could use them in your book.

Description from site:
    John Nathaniel Henderson (1843-1907) enlisted in Company E, 5th Texas Infantry, Hood's Texas Brigade in the beginning of the war and lost an arm at Antietam. After being wounded, he served under General J. B. Robertson in the rank of captain. After the war, he became a lawyer and judge.

John_Nathaniel_Henderson1.jpg
    Probably taken in 1861 just before or after enlisting
    http://teva.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/p15138coll6/id/415/rec/5

John_Nathaniel_Henderson2.jpg
    Captain John N. Henderson
    http://teva.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/p15138coll6/id/416/rec/6

John_Nathaniel_Henderson3.jpg
    John N. Henderson with wife, Hester Hubert
    http://teva.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/p15138coll6/id/414/rec/5

John_Nathaniel_Henderson4.jpg
    Judge John N. Henderson
    http://teva.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/p15138coll6/id/434/rec/1

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
    CSA Today, RangerJoe and bdtex like this.
  6. Chattahooch33

Chattahooch33 Sergeant Major Forum Host Civil War Photo Contest
    Annual Winner

Barrett.jpg

Another "Honorary Texan" of the 18th Georgia, who began the war as part of the Texas Brigade.

Private Milton Barrett of Cobb County enlisted with Company A of the 18th Georgia. He would be transferred to the 3rd Battalion Georgia Sharp Shooters and be made 3rd Corporal. He was captured at the Battle of Front Royal and would die of variola in Elmira Prison. He is buried there.

And... in intertwining from the other thread, what color do you suppose his jacket is?

CSA Today, bdtex and AUG351 like this.
  7. AUG351

Great photo Chattahooch! 18th Georgia or "3rd Texas," as so called by the Texans.

Which battle of Front Royal was this? Obviously not the Front Royal of Jackson's Valley Campaign.

Not sure but I would guess either blue-gray kersey or a darker shade of gray....

8. RangerJoe

RangerJoe Private

OUT FREAKING STANDING!!! Thank You!! Judge Henderson gave an outstanding speech about Hood's Brigade and his comments about Sharpsburg will be in the upcoming book, as well as Second Manassas, Eltham's Landing, etc in the following book! Thank You! I have only found one photograph before these, and that was from the Tarleton State (TX) Law Library! Thanks Again!!!

AUG351 likes this.
  9. major bill

major bill Major Forum Host

Any comment of this Hood's Texas Bde. uniform plate?

hoods.jpg

Attached Files:

CSA Today likes this.
  10. RangerJoe

RangerJoe Private

Ladies and Gentleman,

As you know, "Texans at Gettysburg: Blood and Glory with Hood's Texas Brigade," will be released March 19th, by Fonthill Media.

I am currently doing research and finding reminiscences Hood's Brigade soldiers and other Texans that fought in the 1862 Battles from Eltham's Landing to Sharpsburg. My co-authors and I are currently editing and writing about Sharpsburg and we plan to give the manuscript to a publisher around the Holidays. I need a favor from you and if you can spread the word, I am looking for photographs of the following soldiers:

J. P. Cook - 1st Texas Infantry
    O. T. Hanks - 1st Texas Infantry
    Solomon Thomas Blessing - 1st Texas Infantry
    Russell Crawford Mitchell ( Grandfather of Margaret Mitchell's author of GWTW) - First Texas Infantry
    Sam A. Wilson - 1st Texas Infantry
    J. P. Cook - 1st Texas Infantry
    Lieutenant D. K. Rice - 1st Texas Infantry
    James Day Gun - 1st Texas Infantry
    S. O. Young - 1st Texas Infantry
    Lt. T. P. Samford 1st Texas Infantry
    J. O. Bradfield 1st Texas Infantry

A. N. Erskine - 4th Texas Infantry
    A. S. Roberts - 4th Texas Infantry
    Captain S. H. Darden 4th Texas Infantry
    James C. Murray - 4th Texas Infantry
    Alf T. Luckett - 4th Texas Infantry
    J. P. Polk - 4th Texas Infantry (His photo in his book(s) is unusable - Located at the LOC website).
    Wintul E. Berry - 4th Texas Infantry
    Chaplain Nicholas A. Davis - 4th Texas Infantry (useable photo).

Abner Hinson - 5th Texas Infantry
    Silas Gregory - 5th Texas Infantry
    Jones Hart - 5th Texas Infantry
    Arthur H. Edey - 5th Texas Infantry
    Captain James D. Roberdeau (if someone can make an8x10 digital copy of his photo so I can print it, that would be great, his photo is in Confederate Veteran.

A. J. Cone 18th Georgia Infantry
    Chester Pearce 18th Georgia Infantry

Major Harvey Dingle - Hampton Legion
    E. Scott Larson - Hampton Legion
    Henry Julius Smith - Hampton Legion
    Joseph D. Pinson - Hampton Legion
    W. T. Walton - Hampton Legion
    Marion Walton - Hampton Legion

If you have the photograph OR know where it can be located, so I can send a request to the owner, be it a person or organization that would be great. Also, please spread the word that I am looking for the reminiscences of the soldiers that fought in 1862 in Hood's Brigade (not the reminiscences we already know), I would be honored to include them in the future book(s).

Thank You for everything!

Joe Owen

Klaudly, CSA Today and AUG351 like this.
  11. AndyHall

AndyHall Colonel Forum Host

What little I know of the brigade's uniforms, they varied so much over time and place that I'm not sure a plate labeled "1861-1865" helps much. Those uniforms strike me as being very generic Confederates.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
    major bill likes this.
  12. RangerJoe

RangerJoe Private

Also looking for Adjutant Campbell Wood - 5th Texas Infantry.

13. major bill

I should point out that uniform plate is part of a three plate set of illustrations of Hood's Brigade uniforms and I did not post the plates showing the Texas regiments. The plates text would explain the uniforms in the plates.

14. James N.

James N. Captain Forum Host Civil War Photo Contest
    Annual Winner
    Featured Book Reviewer

I recognize the illustration as a plate from the Military Uniforms in America series published by the Society of Military Collectors and Historians and while I think it's probably done with good research - these appear to actually be based on photographs with possibly speculative colors and shades - the talents of the artist are unfortunately less than stellar. Artistically speaking, it's a far cry from uniform plates produced in the 1960's and 70's by the likes of H. C. McBarron or the one below by George Woodbridge:

[​IMG]

CSA Today and AndyHall like this.
  15. bdtex

bdtex Brigadier General Moderator

Are you looking only for wartime photos? There is a purported picture of Thomas Solomon Blessing at FindAGrave:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=55004372

CSA Today likes this.
  16. AUG351

The colonel second from right appears to be Colonel Vannoy Hartog "Van" Manning of the 3rd Arkansas (see post #38 here). The officer at center looks like Jerome B. Robertson, possibly while still captain of Co. I, 5th Texas.

major bill and CSA Today like this.
  17. bdtex

bdtex Brigadier General Moderator

CSA Today likes this.
  18. Chattahooch33

Chattahooch33 Sergeant Major Forum Host Civil War Photo Contest
    Annual Winner

Wofford's Brigade, under command of DuBose at this point, was sent to the Shenandoah during Petersburg with Early so I'm guessing it was then.

19. Nathanb1

Nathanb1 Brev. Brig. Gen'l Forum Host Retired Moderator

Had to ask...you have checked the libraries at Hill Jr College and Sam Houston, haven't you?

bdtex likes this.
  20. major bill

The plate's text confirms this is Col. Manning.

Left to right the images are A) Pvt. W.C Bradley Company K 18th Georgia. B) Pvt. John Bringle Company D 10th North Carolina State Troops Company. C) Pvt. Amos Dalton Company F South Carolina Legion. D) Col. Van H Manning 3rd Arkansas. E) Captain Henry J. Smith Company D South Carolina Legion. F) Private Richard J Bailey Company H 3rd Arkansas.

AUG351 and James N. like this.
  21. major bill

Sadly both have passed. I receive 12 new plates every year from the Company of Military Historians and the artist use various styles. The plates are suppose to concentration on the uniforms and all are well researched with corrections posted later if new material has been found. That said, I certainly have my favorite artist and am thinking of seeing if one of our newest artist will illiterate a Company of Military Historians uniform plate for me. He offered to illustrate an article for me in the Company of Military Historian and Collector Journal which was recently published and now other authors are seeking him out. Kieth Roco has done a few company of Military Historians plates in the last several years and I usually enjoy his work.

RangerJoe and James N. like this.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)