Restricted Memphis Mayor: Remove Lt. Gen. N. B. Forrest's body and monument from park

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buckeye Bill

Captain
Forum Host
Annual Winner
I took this photo of the Lt. General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA statue in Memphis, Tennessee this morning.

Simply HDR_1437569163785.jpg

18thVirginia

Major
Does anyone else get the impression that this sculptor liked portraying horses way more than people? The horse is so beautifully detailed and the Forrest figure sort of seems like he remembered, "Oh yeah, have to get the General in there as well."

huskerblitz

Major
Group takes a shovel to Confederate General’s grave

http://wreg.com/2015/07/22/group-takes-a-shovel-to-confederate-generals-grave/

“If he’s gone, some of this racism and race-hate might be gone,” said Isaac Richmond with Commission on Religion and Racism. ” We got a fresh shovel full, and we hope that everybody else will follow suit and dig him up.”

Not sure how digging up someone who has been dead for over 100 years will end modern day racism. It makes no sense.

Allie

Captain
Great, now they are actually desecrating graves. And our police department is not enforcing the law. Yes, digging up graves is in fact illegal in Tennessee. So is disturbing any plants in a public park - it's illegal to pick a flower in a Memphis park. So there's really no question: they committed a crime, bragged about it, got away with it.

E_just_E

Captain
Forum Host
Retired Moderator
Group takes a shovel to Confederate General’s grave

http://wreg.com/2015/07/22/group-takes-a-shovel-to-confederate-generals-grave/

“If he’s gone, some of this racism and race-hate might be gone,” said Isaac Richmond with Commission on Religion and Racism. ” We got a fresh shovel full, and we hope that everybody else will follow suit and dig him up.”

Not sure how digging up someone who has been dead for over 100 years will end modern day racism. It makes no sense.

I am sure that there are laws in TN against grave desecration. Those people should be arrested and charged. If someone did that in a cemetery, they would be in handcuffs.

E_just_E

Captain
Forum Host
Retired Moderator

huskerblitz

Major
Oops....posted at same time.

Some interesting quotes:
"Isaac Richmond, who organized the digging demonstration, said Hudson not only wasted gas, but also his time.

“It’s not necessary. I think they are trying to symbolize that we are a bunch of vandals,” he said.

Memphis Police has yet to say whether any laws were broken Wednesday."

Umm.....yes, you are a bunch of vandals. DUH!

And how much more does the Memphis Police need to know whether or not a crime has been committed? Video maybe....oh wait. :O o:

Buckeye Bill

Captain
Forum Host
Annual Winner
The Lt. General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA grave site is located next to the University of Tennessee Health and Science campus. This park is prime real estate and the U of T will gobble it up once Nathan and Mary Ann are relocated. One might think moving the Forrest family is based on the history of the Confederacy and racism. In my opinion, this is all about the almighty dollar. When things don't make a lick of sense, a dollar is attached to it.

Bill

Last edited:

E_just_E

Captain
Forum Host
Retired Moderator
About that digging out thing... I was there 3 weeks ago and something in the back of my mind told me that something was up. So I dug for a couple of shots I took of the place. Here is one:

19956710726_5314a24f82_c.jpg

Not sure what those clowns were doing, but if they wanted to dig the general, they had better bring jackhammers...

All a show. How disgusting...

Last edited:

diane

Retired User
I'm reminded of the English who dug up Wycliff's body (or was it some other early reformer?) and scattered the ashes.

:tongue: I can relate to that! My crazy several greats grandfather was a 7 ft tall Catawba warrior who was caught by 13 Cherokee. He killed them and got away, then they sent 20. He killed half of them and then dug up the other ones so he could throw their bones all around! (Yes, this was the skull collector...:x3:)

Buckeye Bill

Captain
Forum Host
Annual Winner
Very disgusting that this grave site can't be protected at least a little.

I'm a little confused about who all is buried there. Bedford and Mary Ann, but isn't NBF III in Arlington? I thought NBF II was in Elmwood?

NBF III is buried at Arlington, Diane. I observed his grave plate just south of the NBF and Mary Ann grave site and assumed this was his burial site. I corrected my above post.

Sorry about the confusion.....

Bill

The statue was vandalized again...

Volunteers had just finished cleaning off "Black Lives Matter" graffiti when a mayoral candidate spray painted his name on the granite base. Mr Awgowhat has been arrested.

promo264469044.jpg

The city council approved the removal of the statue on a final reading but it is not clear what the next step will be. They may go to court to relocate the bodies and they may ask the state historical commission to review their actions. One councilman proposed auctioning the statue.

Status
Not open for further replies.