Monuments Memphis group fighting to remove confederate statues

CMWinkler

Colonel
Retired Moderator
Memphis group fighting to remove confederate statues

by: Greg Coy Updated: May 22, 2017 - 7:50 PM

placeholder-16x9.jpg

MEMPHIS, Tenn. - A Memphis group promises to make a fresh push to take down confederate statues here in Memphis and have plans to hold a community forum on June 20th. Any new effort will be met by same resistance as before promises relatives of the confederate dead.

FOX13 discovered that first hand while interviewing local community activist Tammi Sawyer in Mississippi River Park or Jefferson Davis Park depending on your point of view.

More: http://www.fox13memphis.com/top-sto...hting-to-remove-confederate-statues/525334177

Those seeking to remove these monuments have a HUGE hurtle to overcome. In mid April the Tennessee Historical Commission, which must grant a waiver to remove, move or in any way alter a Confederate monument must meet. These guidelines are not yet final as they are subject to public hearing, but I'm pretty confident they will be adopted. With these standards, I do not believe that Forrest will remain where he is and Forrest Park will be Forrest Park.

Attachments

• THC MEETNG GUIDELINES.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 152
Those seeking to remove these monuments have a HUGE hurtle to overcome. In mid April the Tennessee Historical Commission, which must grant a waiver to remove, move or in any way alter a Confederate monument must meet. These guidelines are not yet final as they are subject to public hearing, but I'm pretty confident they will be adopted. With these standards, I do not believe that Forrest will remain where he is and Forrest Park will be Forrest Park.
"(g) Whether the proposed change is offensive or has derogatory or defamatory implications;"

Avengement on a dead body is offensive.

I agree disinterring is a huge step the will make a waiver exceedingly difficult. Here, however, is a Memphis News Report from yesterday:

Mayor: Memphis Situation Different from New Orleans on Confederate Statues
by Toby Sells

May 22, 2017
10 comments
flyby_weekthatwasnathanbedfordforest.jpg

• Justin Fox Burkes

Memphis Mayor Jim Strickland’s administration explained on Facebook Monday that while the mayor supports the removal of Confederate statues from Memphis parks, “our situation differs from New Orleans.”

Four Confederate statues have come down in New Orleans since April after votes from the New Orleans City Council in 2015, court rulings, and recent pushes to get the statues down by mayor Mitch Landrieu.

More: http://m.memphisflyer.com/NewsBlog/...erent-from-new-orleans-on-confederate-statues

Back