Memorial Day Period photo

1867crete

Sergeant
5C74805B-C417-44EA-8CBB-CC5FE0ECE0FA.jpeg
277CD719-D7C6-403B-A98B-27241FDACF70.jpeg
E3E661BB-B0D7-427B-AA5A-FB5D2507B0E1.jpeg
Thought this was most appropriate for Memorial Day. Cabinet card from my collection most likely created shortly after the monument was dedicated. Love the hand written caption on the bottom Thank you to ALL OUR veterans past and present

Monument reads
“ beneath this stone repose the sons of 2111 unknown soldiers gathered after the war. From the fields of bull run and the route to the Rappahannock there remains could not be identified but their names and deaths Are recorded in the archives Of their country and it’s greatfull citizens honor them as their noble army of martyrs may they rest in peace September 1866”
I previously mentioned I only visited Arlington many years ago and only for a few hours. But this will definitely be on my list for future visits!

Last edited:
" beneath this stone repose the sons of 2111 unknown soldiers gathered after the war. From the fields of bull run and the route to the Rappahannock there remains could not be identified but their names and deaths Are recorded in the archives Of their country and it’s grateful citizens honor them as their noble army of martyrs may they rest in peace September 1866”

Over 2,000unknown fallen beneath this stone at Arlington. Seems a good place to remember all of them for Memorial Day.

That's very nice. I've been to Arlington on sort of a whirl wind visit. Was not aware of this monument. Every day I am reminded here of how much I DON'T know about the war.

I was able to visit Arlington a few months ago, but was unable to get by this monument, unfortunately.

The modified (and current) design is based on the Roman sarcophagus of Lucius Cornelius Scipio Barbatus (died c. 280 BC), who (through the inscriptions on the tomb itself) is the oldest Roman known to us through the historical record. It was a very popular design in the late 19th century in the United States, reproduced in all sorts of forms. Practically every large cemetery from that period has at least one example.

I wonder if any thought has been given to replacing the empty Viet Nam grave at the tomb of the unknowns with a civil war unknown?
Regards
David

Back