Memorial Day Gettysburg Trip

DMH

Cadet
As I said in my "New Recruits" forum post, I'm sure that a lot of pictures from these same locations have been posted, but I figured I'd share some of the images that I captured while at Gettysburg this past weekend. We toured the battlefield with a licensed guide on two mornings - Memorial Day and the day after - and ended up with absolutely perfect weather on those days. We toured a lot of the First Day sites on Memorial Day, as well as the Peach Orchard and Wheatfield, and wound up down at the Valley of Death/Devil's Den to end that day, then returned to Devil's Den and Little Round Top the next morning. We then worked our way back up Cemetery Ridge and ended things by returning to the Virginia Monument and walking part of the field of Pickett's Charge and ending up at The Angle. It was a great trip and I can't wait to return - hopefully with more time to further explore (which means going without the small kids...). Anyway, in case anyone is interested in seeing some of the sites and how great it was to be out on the battlefield on Memorial Day weekend, here are some of my favorites. Apologies if the images are too large for posting all of these in a single post - wasn't sure of a way to make them a smaller size within the post!

IMG_0191.JPEG

From behind the John Buford statue, looking down the Chambersburg Road. We started our two days of tours here.

IMG_0192.JPEG

Site where General Reynolds was killed.

IMG_0204.JPEG

IMG_0206.JPEG

View (from near the marker for Marye's Battery) looking out from Seminary Ridge across to Cemetery Ridge.

IMG_0225.JPEG

Crossed over Plum Run into the Valley of Death...looking up to Little Round Top.

IMG_0252.JPEG

Looking back up at Little Round Top from Devil's Den. Devil's Den was probably the most "crowded" location that we stopped at on Memorial Day...although when we returned there early Tuesday morning, we were among the first ones there (although you can see a school tour group that just walked back down from LRT).

IMG_0268.JPEG

IMG_0273.JPEG

Little Round Top site for the 20th Maine. Second photo is from the rock that our guide said that Chamberlain claimed he actually stood when ordering the famed charge.

IMG_0283.JPEG

This panoramic shot from the western face of Little Round Top is probably my favorite picture/view from the entire trip...just an incredible feeling to stand here and look down at what men tried to come across in the attack. And, of course, General Warren statue there on the right.

IMG_0285.JPEG

Pennsylvania Monument...pretty impressive.

IMG_0288.JPEG

View from about 1/3 of the way out in our walking a section of Pickett's Charge, looking back at the Point/Virginia Monument where set out from. I believe our guide said that this would have roughly followed where part of Garnett's Brigade would have crossed, but if others would agree/disagree with that location I'd love to hear comments.

IMG_0289.JPEG

Same location as above, but looking toward Cemetery Ridge.

IMG_0290.JPEG

Reaching the Emmitsburg Road as we continue toward Cemetery Ridge.

IMG_0291.JPEG

Approaching angle.jpeg

Final stretch approaching The Angle.

IMG_0295.JPEG

View from The Angle looking back at what the Confederates would have just walked across...not to get too dramatic, but it was sobering to the say the least.

IMG_0297.JPEG

View looking back toward Seminary Ridge from the marker at the location reached by General Armistead.

IMG_0301.JPEG

View looking back toward Seminary Ridge from the monument to Alonzo Cushing.

Again...sorry for the loads of pictures, but I had such a great time at the battlefield I felt the need to share them with someone. Hopefully some of you will enjoy how it was at Gettysburg on Memorial Day!

@Red Raider Hah - I don’t remember seeing the big red beard! I was walking around in a Cincinnati Reds hat if that rings any bells for you…Tuesday we spent a lot of time around Little Round Top/Devil’s Den and then up toward the middle of the lines where the Charge occurred.

We did two 3-hour guided tours and I still feel like I only scratched the surface - can’t wait to go back!

@Red Raider Hah - I don’t remember seeing the big red beard! I was walking around in a Cincinnati Reds hat if that rings any bells for you…Tuesday we spent a lot of time around Little Round Top/Devil’s Den and then up toward the middle of the lines where the Charge occurred.

We did two 3-hour guided tours and I still feel like I only scratched the surface - can’t wait to go back!
Hat does not ring a bell. My friend Rachel went out with me (her first time to Gettysburg). We didn't get onto the battlefield until around 1230 and the first stop was LRT.

Back