Memorial Day Ceremony planned for Monocacy National Battlefield

Claude Bauer

First Sergeant
Forum Host
If you're in the Frederick, MD area on Memorial Day, Monday, May 31, an afternoon ceremony is planned at the Visitor's Center at Monocacy National Battlefield park. They're still working on the program, but the Monocacy Field Music (my group) will be there, and a bugler will play Taps.

Here's the official announcement from the NPS site:

https://www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/e...VEaPc8km6zDl1g1s8N8cW8ICVRSWoxXqIoE5n9KmiAduI

Note that, "In 2009, the park began placing 1,300 35-star United States flags and 900 Confederate “Second National” flags outside the Visitor Center on Memorial Day Weekend to commemorate the 2,200 casualties of the Battle of Monocacy. The intent of the display was to acknowledge the full loss of life during the battle.

After thoughtful conversation and careful consideration, we have decided not to conduct the annual display of flags at the park on Memorial Day weekend. Instead, we developed new programming to focus on the significance of Memorial Day."

If you're in the Frederick, MD area on Memorial Day, Monday, May 31, an afternoon ceremony is planned at the Visitor's Center at Monocacy National Battlefield park. They're still working on the program, but the Monocacy Field Music (my group) will be there, and a bugler will play Taps.
Memorial Day at Monocacy was very meaningful and enjoyable. The event included presentations on the history of Memorial Day, the role of the USCT in the war, and Civil War-era fife and drum music played by my group, the Monocacy Field Music. After the National Minute of Silence at 3:00 pm, the bugler played Taps for the audience. His performance was also part of the Taps Across America event, where more than 10K buglers across the country played Taps at the same time.

It was a beautiful sunny day and the park visitors who attended really enjoyed it and appreciated the opportunity to get out and do something again.

Bugler Ryan Edwards plays Taps

Monocacy Field Music after the ceremony (4 drummers, 3 fifers and a park ranger).
194582701_10219540534646422_7543232594851572267_n.jpg

Back