Members feel free to add cemetery pictures

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

gentlemanrob

Brigadier General
Forum Host
Members please feel free to post any cemetery or grave pictures you might have that you have visited on your civil war journeys. It's always good to post photos you never know someone might be kin to the person's grave you have a picture of. Me myself I just alwyays enjoy seeing photos of different graves from the Government markers to some of the elaborate graves I have visited a few myself. If you need photos of a certain grave and a member is willing to take pictures of that grave that could be nice as well.

John Winn

Captain
Here's a good one from the cemetery where I volunteer (Jacksonville, Oregon). Thomas was Canadian but left between 1848 and 1860, ending up in Maniteau, Missouri. He volunteered for the Navy in 1862 and served as carpenter on the crew of the gunboat Cincinnati during the capture of Fort Henry. He was also in the Battle of Plum Point Bend where he commanded mortar boat No. 16. In addition, he also served on the sternwheeler Juliet, the single-screw steamer ram Little Rebel (a captured confederate vessel), and the single-screw steamer St. Clair, all as acting lieutenant. Little could be found about what he did after the war but he made his way to Oregon some time after 1875 so as to live with his son in his old age. Quite a journey.

gregory_back_final.JPG
gregory_front_final.JPG

Last edited:

DixieRifles

Captain
Photos from Andersonville

Headstones for Civil War Veterans with modern graves in the background.
Private William T. Lovett of Bradford's 13th Tennessee Cavalry(US) was one of the first PW's captured at the Battle of Fort Pillow, 12 April 1864, to die at Andersonville.
Andersonville_ 076.jpg

Private Patton S. Alexander of the 13th Tennessee Cavalry(US) was another prisoner taken at Fort Pillow. He was the oldest of the group of PW's to die at Andersonville. He was a Mexican War veteran who served with 1 Mounted Regiment.
Andersonville_ 090.jpg

Andersonville_ 084.jpg

DixieRifles

Captain
There are many posts on this web forum of the Confederate Cemetery at Okolona, MS. However, these soldiers did not die in the Battle of Okolona, 22 February 1864.

On the road from Okolona to Ponotoc, there is a group of headstones of Union soldiers who fell during their retreat. This is located on Hiway 41 very close to where the Natchez Trace Parkway overpass.

Okolona__ 033.jpg

archieclement

Captain
Had hoped to stop by Bellafontaine and Cavalry cemeteries to get pictures of mabye Gen Sherman and Prices graves, and Dred Scott but rained all day.

Imagine I'll be several times this summer for check ups, mabye next time