Member Testimonials

Cavalry Charger

Captain
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Well, it's been a year - today! I never thought I would find such a wonderful place with such wonderful people, and all I was looking for originally was information, and understanding. Soon, I began to interact with people, join in on threads, was educated, as well as challenged, and finally felt like I had become part of the 'family' :smile: It's been a whirlwind year, and I've loved (almost) every minute of it. Thanks CWT for opening up the portal to more than one other world for me :wink:

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!
Mike, I have posted one item with no reply. I'm the new kid on the block and perhaps I'm not looking in the correct place for a reply although I see a "repy" section. My post is as follows; My GGF, Frederick Augustus Bedichek was a member of the 10th Mo Inf, corporal. He spent a good deal of the war in Camp Alton, IL. His brother, my gguncle, James Madison Bedichek was with Co A 5th MO Infantry with the CSA and he spent the latter portion of the war in Camp Chase, Ohio, which was later changed to the 35th MO Vol Infantry. How do I locate the Oaths of Allegiance for each one? How do I find where the Oaths were signed? If I'm asking the wrong questions please let me know. Thanks Jerry Bedichek

Zella

2nd Lieutenant
Forum Host
Mike, I have posted one item with no reply. I'm the new kid on the block and perhaps I'm not looking in the correct place for a reply although I see a "repy" section. My post is as follows; My GGF, Frederick Augustus Bedichek was a member of the 10th Mo Inf, corporal. He spent a good deal of the war in Camp Alton, IL. His brother, my gguncle, James Madison Bedichek was with Co A 5th MO Infantry with the CSA and he spent the latter portion of the war in Camp Chase, Ohio, which was later changed to the 35th MO Vol Infantry. How do I locate the Oaths of Allegiance for each one? How do I find where the Oaths were signed? If I'm asking the wrong questions please let me know. Thanks Jerry Bedichek
Hi, Jerry, welcome!

Try this section of the forum for the ancestry research question:
https://civilwartalk.com/forums/researching-your-civil-war-ancestry.38/
There are some really helpful folks there with a lot of experience doing genealogical research. They've really helped me out.

And feel free to introduce yourself in this section:
https://civilwartalk.com/forums/new-recruits-meet-greet-area.6/

:smile:

TnFed

Sergeant
I enjoy this site immensely. Mainly because there is information on two groups that I believe do not get the attention they deserve on other forums, Southern Unionist and German ethincs in the war. Maybe my interest is because my ancestors were from Appalachia and I grew up in Cincinnati. Thanks again!

DocBarbee

Cadet
Hello Mike! What a wonderful treasure trove of information this site has on it. I look forward to going down some serious rabbit holes. I'm especially interested as a border state resident who had people fight on both sides, what the justification was for poor whites to fight for a bunch of slave holding landowners and an antiquated system even for the mid-19th century. It really never has made any sense to me, and I think it's directly attributable to why we're having some of the trouble we're having now in our country. The "lost cause" is also something I'm really interested in. It seems so obvious that the Confederacy was treasonous, was founded on an evil system, and yet people want to believe it was somehow noble...ugh. Thanks again, and sorry if I come off as not being "understanding" but subjugating an entire class of people for an economic "system" doesn't seem to be much of a cause.

Waterloo50

Major
Forum Host
Silver Patron
A wonderful site and extremely informative. Its my number one go to site for everything and anything civil war related. Civil War Talk has friendly members along with helpful staff. It contains a wealth of civil war knowledge that you won’t find anywhere else. I’d highly recommend Civil War Talk to anyone with an interest in this fascinating historical period.

Zella

2nd Lieutenant
Forum Host

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
I already contributed a post here but will add something. I've been able to have my head turned around on dozens of topics- not just reading something and saying " OH that's on the internet it must be right ", it's listening to the gajillion experts this place has. It teaches you objectivity in a big hurry and if there's one thing we need when approaching History it's that.

redbob

Captain
What I particularly enjoy about this site is that everyday there is the opportunity to learn something new, or to be able to share something new with fellow members.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!