Member Testimonials

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
Recently I've had a number of compliments about the web site and message board emailed to me. So I was thinking, what better way to showcase all those comments then to create a testimonials board. So here we are!

Let's see what you have to say about CivilWarTalk.com....
I just found the site. I haven't explored it as much as I hope to, but so far I've been fascinated. Since I've been studying, speaking, and writing about the Civil War for over 20 years(6 published books, 5 historical fictions and 1 History titled Tattered Glory), I haven't had the time to find communities such as this on the web. I'm delighted to find this.

Wow. What can I say that hasn't already been said? After four hours of catching up on fifteen years of posts and still more to go, I have learned more here than I ever did in school. We are still trying to educate the people here in Virginia that never got a real history lesson. Thankfully, most of us have relatives that have passed down stories and mementos. I have been documenting our local memorials before all this noise about removing them. Today, a small victory, as Norfolk decided to leave their Monument where it is. Deo Vindici.
http://oldetownephotos.blogspot.com/

MRB1863

Major
Forum Host
Glad I found y'all!!! This is a fine place to learn and discuss all things Civil War and enjoy the friendship fellow members. My hopeless addiction to Civil War is obviously shared by many here. My newer addiction to Civil War Talk is also shared by many. I don't feel like the only one addicted with this marvelous support group who are always just a post away with an astute answer to a question. Thank you for your hard work in bringing this vision to life for all of us!!

Bill & Ami,

I have often stated how wonderful this forum is. I want to thank you both for providing it to us all. Civil War Talk stands head and shoulders over all the other Civil War forums, it is the "Michael Jordan" of Civil War forums. I have learned a great amount from this forum and it's members. We may not always agree, we may not always get along, but we always learn and we always know we are family.

Civil War Flags.jpg

Respectfully,
William

I've made one post, and this is my third visit to the site, and I absolutely love it. As an 18-year-old Australian, it's rare that I find people who share my fascination with history at all, let alone the history of America and its civil war, and so I find this constructive community of like-minded amateur historians to be super encouraging and welcoming!

bdtex

Brigadier General
Silver Patron
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Regtl. Quartermaster Chickamauga 2018
Can't believe I'm just now seeing this thread. Where to start?

On July 21,2015,I googled "Civil War discussion forums". Prior to that,I had only been an ACW enthusiast for about 14 months and had mostly been wandering around alone in the wilderness trying to find my way. I had been to 4 museums and visited one small battlefield during that time and read 2 books,one of which my father gave me years ago that had had sat on a shelf collecting dust for years. The other was recommended to me by a member of another forum. Lemme tell y'all a little bit about the world that opened up to me since I found CivilWarTalk.

Through membership at CWT,I learned of the Hood's Texas Brigade Association Re-Activated(HTBAR) which I've joined. I attended last year's and this year's annual conference and went on the HTBAR battlefield tour this year. It was the first guided battlefield tour I've ever been on. Through a fellow HTBAR conference attendee,I was invited to attend and later join the Houston Civil War Round Table(HCWRT),which I attended and joined last December. I've attended every monthly meeting since then. Through CWT,I learned of the annual Jefferson Civil War Symposium. I attended it this year in August and am already looking forward to next year's symposium.

I have had the pleasure of personally meeting 6 CWT members,4 of which are published authors. I see @AndyHall regularly at our HCWRT meetings. I have had the pleasure of spending time with @Nathanb1 and her husband at both HTBAR conferences I have attended. I've had the pleasure of spending time twice with both Eric Jacobson and Sam Hood at HCWRT and HTBAR events and had some email correspondence with Sam lately. I met a coupla other members at HTBAR conferences.

I just ordered 4 books that I learned of by way of recommendation from other CWT members and have bought and read many(not all read yet :D ) that I learned of the same way. I have visited some museums and cemeteries that I learned of from posts in CWT or private messages from members and a whole lot more have been put on the to-do list. I found out about fold3 and other sources here and found much more information about my ACW ancestors than I came here with.

There is such a wide variety of topics up for discussion here and many different ways to participate from regular discussions to contests to the Monday night chats and more that I probably haven't discovered yet. The Administrator/Moderator footprint here is light and that's because the members are very respectful and civil for the most part,even if passionate. There are only a handful of topics that are hot-button and we have enough volunteer staff to keep an eye out for the occasional over-the-line behavior and nip it in the bud.

This has become my favorite site and the one I get the most quality enjoyment from. It stimulates my mind and curiosity and I learn something new here every day. I'm no longer wandering alone in the wilderness trying to find my way.

Last edited:
James Taylor 1.jpg Mike Kendra, thank-you! I like to feel that this site speaks more to our commonality as Americans than our differences as people interested in the Civil War. I pray that skin color and ethnicity will one day be less important than our identity as Americans. My 3rd Great Grandfather escaped to Lawrence Co. from a plantation in Kentucky. My cousin Mathias Anderson was killed by the Knights of the Golden Circle in Lawrence County, Illinois on September 15, 1862. When President Lincoln called up the colored troops, the Free Blacks of the county, all of whom knew Matthias "Shug" Anderson; joined up and enlisted in the 28th USCT. My 3rd Great Uncle was killed at the Battle of the Crater. Others in my family also fought for Freedom! I am interested in anything Civil War; but I am somewhat dismayed that Negro Equality was view as such a threat by white southerners after the War.

PeterT

1st Lieutenant
I've made one post, and this is my third visit to the site, and I absolutely love it. As an 18-year-old Australian, it's rare that I find people who share my fascination with history at all, let alone the history of America and its civil war, and so I find this constructive community of like-minded amateur historians to be super encouraging and welcoming!
G'day Nic! Welcome to Civil War Talk! We are practically neighbours ... only a 9 hour drive :smile:. @Aussie Billy Sherman is up north so we have you surrounded!

I can echo a lot of what @bdtex said in his post above. It has been a wonderful learning experience being here at CWT ... and there is so much more to learn too! A huge bonus was participating in the trip to Gettysburg in September and getting to meet so many of the CWT members, who have now become friends.

The forums found here at 'Civil War Talk' afford every dedicated study of the American Civil War a podium that they can teach from, a collective knowledge from which they can learn from, and a member base that they can relate to.

The boards found here are classy yet casual, the topics vary but remain valid - and the members are critical yet constructive.

'Civil War Talk' is the best online school I have ever attended.

Seduzal

Brigadier General
Congratulations to "CivilWarTalk". And to all its members both near and far. I love this site, where else can we learn together about past history of the American Civil War. I love submitting question and answers for the trivia, sometimes I have problems with the wording of the questions. It is hard for me to correctly put my thoughts and questions down on this form. Still remembering our trip, "September to Remember Gettysburg 2016".

Thanks for the add. I've always been fascinated by my family's history; the John Hannum family from PA. My mother is moving and all of a sudden made me the keeper of all things Hannum. Wonderful things and history!

Civil War Talks is educational, entertaining,fun and conducted in a gentleman like manner. Photos and info about historical people and places are presented by members for the pleasure of all. Members range for newbees , authors, educators and average everyday people with an interest in America's History. Foul or lewd remarks are not tolerated. Overall an enjoyable place to spend time and meet others who have interests that match your own. A place to ask questions regarding items or possible family connections from over 150 years ago . Thanks for this venue.

Last edited:

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)