Member Testimonials

Ive been a member here for quite a while now. I came here to ask a question about some research I was doing and ended up making friends and learning a lot as well. Ive met people here that I truly consider friends. This forum and its people are truly one of a kind. You couldnt ask for any better.
J.Flynn
thank you kindly JH and linda :smile:
my presence here is supplementing my ongoing research about the acadian nation.....
this was all brought on in a vision after the passing of my best drummer/singer compatriot levon helm
(RIP levon, we will love you forevermore brother.) "the night they drove old dixie down" always brings me to tears.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

JWheeler331

First Sergeant
I have enjoyed this site for a while now. It has such a high quality member group. While I may not always agree with everything everyone says.....I have enjoyed the different prospectives displayed here upon these pages. I have learned a great deal from the good people here and im happy to have this place to visit. Thanks.

Mike, without a doubt, this board has enriched and inspired me. And it has more importantly educated me.

I have learned so much since I have joined this board in just a few months than in all the years I have researched and read about the Civil War.

This is mainly due to the caliber of people you attract to this wonderful forum. They come here with strong opinions and ideals and yet they are willing to be kind and polite in their debates and exchanges of information.

I hope you keep up the good work in maintaining this board, it must keep you pretty busy, and I always hope to be a member and never stop learning about the subject dearest to my heart, The American Civil War.

Sincerely,
Unionblue
Greetings friend Unionblue,

Colonel l am reporting for dutie, they have just promoted me to Corporal.
Just wanted to let you know as l did recieve kind words from you in a previous
post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks...........................Jess :thumbsup:.

Hi Mike & Ami,

Only chat room for the want of a term that l have ever joined and l just want to say
THANKS HEAPS. Never had a great deal of confidence in myself but Ami put me
straight on that and that is why l volunteered to be a host. All l can say is great site,
great people and l do thank you all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Many thanks..............................Jess :smile::thumbsup::thumbsup: .

I couldn't be MORE pleased to be a part of this forum. Even with the heated discussions and sometimes angry responses....we are all historians and we all love our history. And I couldn't be more proud to be an American because of our differences. As Civil War Buffs, we know what really made this a good country. I salute you All!

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
I was looking for a Civil War forum to join, but was kind of terrified to join one because I don't know very much- some folks who do can be really intimidating. I lurked, like any good stalker, for awhile and found a TON of amazing information, a lot of extremely nice people and great guidlines- i'e', the forum was kept to CW only. I joined, found only encouragement, not ' You don't know THAT, what an idjit! ', which is what you do find elsewhere frequently. Mostly encouragement and just,plain kindness. Once in awhile there's the Poof threads, but no harm, no foul, it's a little inevitable given the subject matter and kind of fun sometimes, put on your fevlar, walk through a room filled with Civl War buffs and say the word ' Sherman '. :smile:

I've learned a LOT, lot, LOT since being here, have over-loaded my bookmarks and favorites links, which keep climbing. Haven't yet found he time to come to the chat room- hope to at some point because it sounds wonderful. I feel lucky to have bumped into this place awhile ago to the point where it's almost frustrating when mornings get too busy, too early ( like today ) and I don't get my 4 a.m.- 6 forum time. :smile: Too many Thank You's to go around- so just Thank You, the biggest would have to be to the folks who invented Civil War Talk, though. Can't imagine how many folks have benefitted over the years, talk about a service, Mike and Ami!

I couldn't agree more with you folks. I've been on some CW boards that were extremely biased, the south's gonna rise again types, that were nothing but one fight after another. Coming to this board was like a breath of fresh air. The things I've learned, and the great people I've met who I feel very much are my friends make this site my favorite place to be at any time of the day or night. Ya just can't get enough of a good thang!

Around January 2012 while watching a PBS program on Jesse James, it was said he was mentored by a "psychopath" known as Bloody Bill Anderson. Having never heard of him I did research online which led me to information on guerrilla warfare in Missouri during the civil war. I was fortunate to find Civil War Talk and have learned much. I also have purchased a number of books on the subject.

There is not only a wealth of information here but also interesting- and entertaining- members who keep me coming back on a regular basis.

Many thanks for this great website.

I was in one one of the forums for only one day, which was my first and last day. Having read the previous posts, I am puzzled as to why my experience was so negative. Maybe it was the particular forum I entered. I found the members to be very caustic, personally insulting, and rude. Certainly not following the guidelines from the rules of etiquette as posted. Although born and raised as a northerner, I support the Southern cause. It seems that this is what other members found so offensive. Not one member responded as also supporting the Southern cause. So, I do not believe that this site is truly intended for open discussion. It would most likely benefit future members if you were to mention this upfront. I have since found another site that includes supporters of both sides of the war, and allows for polite discourse of opposing viewpoints. Deo Vindice

James B White

Captain
Honored Fallen Comrade
I was in one one of the forums for only one day, which was my first and last day. Having read the previous posts, I am puzzled as to why my experience was so negative. Maybe it was the particular forum I entered. I found the members to be very caustic, personally insulting, and rude. Certainly not following the guidelines from the rules of etiquette as posted. Although born and raised as a northerner, I support the Southern cause. It seems that this is what other members found so offensive. Not one member responded as also supporting the Southern cause. So, I do not believe that this site is truly intended for open discussion. It would most likely benefit future members if you were to mention this upfront. I have since found another site that includes supporters of both sides of the war, and allows for polite discourse of opposing viewpoints. Deo Vindice
I tried to engage you in a serious discussion, focussing only on quotes and viewpoints that were sympathetic to the southern cause, without any reply: http://civilwartalk.com/threads/why-war.97021/page-29#post-847444

28thNewYork

First Sergeant
Silver Patron
Sorry you had such a negative experience. A lot of us have found that this site is very open to in-depth discussion, regardless of whether one is basically most sympathetic to Deo Vindice or E Pluribus Unum. While I have found some opinions with which I do not necessarily agree, I have usually also found that the person voicing the opinion is open to further discussion; the better to reach a mutual understanding of the topic at hand. In addition, what is usually found to be offensive is not what is being said, but rather how what is being said is expressed.

Lnwlf

2nd Lieutenant
Retired Moderator
Honored Fallen Comrade
In a way I am glad you posted this as it proves that CWT is not a "mutual backslapping society". It does get partisan at times and one can clearly see the lines being drawn. You might be surprised at who, geographically speaking, will fall on the side quite opposite of their latitude. The main goal of most all members is to learn. That is why so often people request source material. It is not often wise to take statements of "fact" at face value. Sure their are some rancorous times, but in the end we (in a general sense) pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off, and go again.
I do hope you reconsider your position. I think you will find us (generally) a well rounded group, composed of folks with varying degrees of knowledge, temperament, and yes, partisanship. Lurk around a while and get to know the folks here before basing your opinion on one thread. Civil War Talk is not to everyone's liking, but give it a chance.

I suppose that could be my testimonial for the value of this site. It is well worth spending some time here as frustrating as it may get at times. People being people, you will have that.

As one who tried several forums (not CW related) that proved less than satisfactory before lurking here I'll just say that I've found this site to be almost entirely void of trolls, well-moderated, and for the most part quite civil. On top of that, it is populated by people who know of what they speak and who can provide useful references for just about any question one can think up. Because of these positives I decided to try the internet thing once again and signed on here. I'm quite pleased with myself for having done so as it so far has been a very rewarding experience and I've learned quite a bit in a short time (and I'm fairly well read on the subject matter discussed here IMO).

I suppose it all depends on what type of interaction one seeks whether this - or any other - site will provide a rewarding experience worth the time. If one has strongly-held beliefs and only seeks similarly-minded people with whom to one can commiserate then this likely won't be that spot but if one wants to learn something and have meaningful debate with knowledgeable folk then this is the spot.

I give CWT five stars (and they didn't pay me a cent to say that).

Nathanb1

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Retired Moderator
As one who tried several forums (not CW related) that proved less than satisfactory before lurking here I'll just say that I've found this site to be almost entirely void of trolls, well-moderated, and for the most part quite civil. On top of that, it is populated by people who know of what they speak and who can provide useful references for just about any question one can think up. Because of these positives I decided to try the internet thing once again and signed on here. I'm quite pleased with myself for having done so as it so far has been a very rewarding experience and I've learned quite a bit in a short time (and I'm fairly well read on the subject matter discussed here IMO).

I suppose it all depends on what type of interaction one seeks whether this - or any other - site will provide a rewarding experience worth the time. If one has strongly-held beliefs and only seeks similarly-minded people with whom to one can commiserate then this likely won't be that spot but if one wants to learn something and have meaningful debate with knowledgeable folk then this is the spot.

I give CWT five stars (and they didn't pay me a cent to say that).
No, I sent you a draft on Andy's account in the Great British Bank. :smile:

Nathanb1

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Retired Moderator
In the nicest way possible, I want to note that I looked up that thread and your posts in them today. I had not seen them before, and frankly, I avoided that thread like the plague. I'm not one bit surprised, reading your posts, that you got that impression. Seems to work better here (as a newbie, which I once was) to ask instead of tell--and to read a bit before you post, to learn how things work.

Sorry you had a negative experience.

In the nicest way possible, I want to note that I looked up that thread and your posts in them today. I had not seen them before, and frankly, I avoided that thread like the plague. I'm not one bit surprised, reading your posts, that you got that impression. Seems to work better here (as a newbie, which I once was) to ask instead of tell--and to read a bit before you post, to learn how things work.

Sorry you had a negative experience.
Thank-you to you and others who responded here. Will look at some other treads and read what others as saying before posting.

godofredus

Sergeant Major
For every comment that makes the steam come out of my ears and the top of my head explode there have to be at least five posts that have enlighten me on a heretofore unknown piece of history. Offhand, Lincoln and cats for example. Says a lot about the man.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)