Meet my cusion Lt Col Thomas C . Marshall

Capt7thWvCoA

Private
Hello everyone, I'd like to introduce my cusion Lt Col Thomas C . Marshall. He commanded the 7th Va cavalry until his death at the battle of luray , virginia where He was fatally shot in the heart and died soon after . He was also a aide to general Jackson at first Manassas.

lt_col_thomas_marshall.jpg

Your cousin was an interesting man. Here's some information on him:

Thomas C. Marshall was born in Oak Hill, Fauquier County, Virginia, on January 17, 1826. He was the grandson of the great Chief Justice of the United States Supreme Court, John Marshall. Not surprisingly, he studied law in Winchester before the war. Marshall was commissioned as a captain and served as a volunteer aide to Stonewall Jackson at the First Battle of Bull Run in July 1861. He was appointed major of the 7th​ Virginia Cavalry June 20, 1862. He was captured during the August 2, 1862 Battle of Orange Court House. After he was exchanged after being captured at Orange Court House, he was promoted to lieutenant colonel on October 30, 1862. He fought in the Battles of Brandy Station and Trevilian Station, among others, and was wounded twice, at Ream's Station and Petersburg. He had six horses shot out from under him during the war. He was killed at Nineveh in the Shenandoah Valley on November 10, 1864 and was buried in Stonewall Cemetery in Winchester, Virginia.

I have done quite a bit of work on the 7th VA Cavalry over the years, so I have crossed paths with him numerous times. Marshall was a good soldier.

I am related to him and his father John through his grandfather Col Thomas Marshal . His Thomas was a good friend of George Washington.

By the way, Colonel James Keith Marshall, 52nd North Carolina, who was killed on the third day of Gettysburg, was also a grandson of Chief Justice John Marshall.

Fold3, Confederate Casualty Reports, includes Thomas C. Marshall's original hand-written report of the Gettysburg campaign, which appears in the Official Reports of that battle. It contains extraordinary detail on the operations of the 7th Virginia Cavalry, with losses of men and horses for each engagement, large or small, including of course the clash at Fairfield, Pennsylvania on July 3.

Back