1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Meet James Longstreet: In The Beginning.

Discussion in 'James Longstreet' started by War Horse, Feb 26, 2017.

1. War Horse

War Horse Captain Forum Host Silver Patron Trivia Game Winner Regtl. Quartermaster Gettysburg 2016 Member of the Year

As we begin our studies of the General, I feel it is important to understand where he comes from. This thread will enlighten us on many aspects of, who is James Longstreet.

"James Longstreet was born on Jan 8, 1821. The third son and fifth child to James Longstreet and Mary Ann Dent Longstreet. His parents owned a cotton plantation in the Piedmont section of North Eastern Georgia near what would become Gainesville, Ga. Neither James or Mary were South Carolina natives. James was born in New Jersey and Mary in Maryland. Both sides of the families ancestry dated back to the colonial period. The first Longstreet in the new world was Dirck Stoffels Langestraet who migrated to the Dutch colony of New Netherlands in 1657. Three generations later the family name had been anglicized, on Oct 6, 1759 William Longstreet was born, James Grandfather, born in Monmouth county New Jersey. William inherited the independent and roving spirt of the Longstreet males. In the mid 1780"s he married Hannah Fritz Randolph, born on March 23, 1761. Daughter of James and Deliverance Coward Fritz Randolph. The Fritz Randolph's whose ancestors first settled in Puritan Massachusetts in 1760, and had lived in New Jersey for over a century. Following their marriage William and Hanna moved to Augusta, GA on the Savannah river. William was regarded as a "Genius", William had an interest in steam engines. William experimented with the development of a steamboat and actually built a prototype and launched it. Williams creation did not have a paddlewheel and worked off of several moving poles. His plans were considered to complex and when he applied for funding to then Governor Thomas Telfair on September 6, 1790, Telfair rejected the proposal ending the project. William later built a steam powered cotton gin about 1780, William and Hanna then moved to South Carolina and purchased land for a cotton plantation in the Edgefield district, fourteen miles north of Augusta. They prospered as planters and bought a second home in Augusta, GA where the family periodically lived until Williams death on September 9, 1814.

During their 30 years of marriage Hannah bore 5 children. James, their eldest was born in New Jersey, the four others were born in Georgia. James inherited the families independent spirit and struck out on his own eventually purchasing land in the foothills of the Appalachian mountains. There he began raising cotton. While visiting his parents in Augusta James would meet Mary Ann Dent. Her father was Thomas Marshall Dent, a cousin of Supreme Court Justice John Marshall, and her Mother was Ann Magruder Dent, native Marylanders whose ancestors had settled in the Colony in the 1670's. James and Mary Ann married in 1814. The year William Longstreet died. Mary gave birth to their fist born in the couples first year of marriage, a daughter they named Anna, three years later, in 1817 a son was born named William.

During the next three years another daughter, Sarah Jane, and another son , John, where born, but both died in infancy. In 1820 Mary was pregnant for the fifth time. Mary traveled to her mother-in-Laws, and gave birth to their 3rd Son James. Although the future General would be a native South Carolinian, he always regarded Georgia as his home. His mother brought him to that state within weeks of his birth. In the years to follow Mary would give birth to four daughters, Henrietta (1822) Rebecca (1824), Eliz Parke (1828) and Maria Nelson (1829) for a grand total of seven children with James being fifth born, third son."

From this study of the roots of James Longstreet, we begin to understand better the Burley Georgian.

1. The true familial relationship between Ulysses S. Grant and James Longstreet. Julia was indeed James Longstreet's blood relation.

2. How the Generals South Carolina birth made him a true South Carolinian, but also explains why he considered himself a Georgian.

3. His roots were as deeply American as anyone's dating back to Colonial times.

Source: General James Longstreet; The Confederacy's Most Controversial Soldier.

I had intended to couple Wert's work with other sources, but once I reread his work, I determined why mess with perfection.

* As a note I condensed the pages in an effort to shorten the OP. Any mistakes are mine as usual :smile:

I hope you've enjoyed reading the Generals roots. Next up "Meet James Longstreet; the formative years"

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. Bee

Bee 2nd Lieutenant

I recognized the Dent family surname and immediately began to wonder.... Thanks for the elaboration. It is interesting that neither of Longstreet's parents were from the Deep South, but ,ol Pete was a Southerner true and true.

Nathanb1 and War Horse like this.
  4. War Horse

War Horse Captain Forum Host Silver Patron Trivia Game Winner Regtl. Quartermaster Gettysburg 2016 Member of the Year

Much like myself, I was born in Prince George county Maryland, Andrews AFB (Army brat) However we moved to Florida before my 3rd birthday. I've always considered myself a Floridian :smile:

FarawayFriend and Bee like this.
  5. FarawayFriend

FarawayFriend Captain Silver Patron Trivia Game Winner

“Home is where the heart is“.
    Same here, I was born in southern Germany, but my parents moved north when I was 1 1/2 years old, so I consider Lower Saxony my home state. Although my heart belongs to Berlin, my father's birthplace.

It's interesting that you emphasize that - were there any doubts about that?

Is this maybe also the time to explain why he got his nickname “Peter“?
    I think maybe yes. It's because he was physically powerful and even his father was impressed by his strength and stamina and so he gave him the nickname “Peter“ which comes from Latin and means “the rock“.
    I hope I did not reach to far forward, but as your next chapter “The formative years“ seems to hint to West Point already, I thought we should cover that aspect here....

Looking forward to the next chapter!

6. War Horse

Actually I had no idea why his father had taken to calling him Pete or Peter. I knew he was given no middle name at birth. Interesting, thank you for sharing.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  7. War Horse

The book:
    Augustus Baldwin Longstreet: A Study of the Development of Culture in the South
    By John Donald Wade, M. Thomas Inge

Provides a valuable Genealogy of the Longstreet family dating back prior to Dirck Stoffels Langestraet. It also includes many letters of interest. Including the letter written by William Longstreet to Governor Thomas Telfair. The link below should answer any questions you may have on the matter.

https://books.google.com/books?id=6ZhxjBcdu08C&pg=PA2&lpg=PA2&dq=Dirck+Stoffels+Langestraet&source=bl&ots=jiQ0OJlpKz&sig=s8nDSx3t_KPDArw8V4VJytc6iuo&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiZwKTQna_SAhUnLMAKHX8lDEk4ChDoAQhCMAw#v=onepage&q=Dirck Stoffels Langestraet&f=false

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)