Medical Display

surgeon1862

Cadet
I have been a CW reenactor. Portraying a Union Surgeon for approx. 20 years. This is part of my Medical display. It is a mix of original instruments and other items.
20200325_074434.jpg
20200325_074415.jpg

Welcome Doc. :biggrin: Welcome to CivilWarTalk from The Trans-Mississippi Department.

Welcome! I find surgical displays fascinating! When I do my first person impression, I talk about nursing and how I use various herbals. I keep a jar of rubber leeches, and I’ve got rubber maggots as well. It supplies the “ick” factor that 8th grade boys so enjoy!

Welcome From THE Heart Of Dixie. I'm sure you will be hearing from our medical guru @lelliott19

Welcome to CWT from the Smoky Mountain side of North Carolina. Just jump right in and enjoy.
As a retired EMT I find that it is amazing how much medical equipment has really not changed since the Civil War. Thanks for sharing these awesome photos.
Yes I was at the 150th Gettysburg doing demos. A elderly lady said she had just retired from the surgical theater after 44 yrs. She told me they still use hand bone saws. I asked why. She said the new buzz saws jam sometimes about half way into a femure. They finish with a hand saw so as to not fracture or chip the bone. I had no idea that they were still using them. That is one of the reasons why I love CW medical. Again along the line you mention.

Hello @surgeon1862 and welcome to CivilWarTalk, the best place on the internet for Civil War discussion.

So happy you have joined us! That's a very nice collection! Thanks for sharing your fantastic exhibit of Civil War surgical instruments and medical implements with us. That's an amazing pocket kit! Could you post a close up of it and the info card? Thanks again and welcome aboard!

Back