Medical Display

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

bdtex

Major General
★★ Sr. Moderator
Silver Patron
Annual Winner
Regtl. Quartermaster Chickamauga 2018 Vicksburg 2019
Welcome Doc. :biggrin: Welcome to CivilWarTalk from The Trans-Mississippi Department.

Mrs. V

Sergeant Major
Welcome! I find surgical displays fascinating! When I do my first person impression, I talk about nursing and how I use various herbals. I keep a jar of rubber leeches, and I’ve got rubber maggots as well. It supplies the “ick” factor that 8th grade boys so enjoy!

surgeon1862

Cadet
Welcome to CWT from the Smoky Mountain side of North Carolina. Just jump right in and enjoy.
As a retired EMT I find that it is amazing how much medical equipment has really not changed since the Civil War. Thanks for sharing these awesome photos.
Yes I was at the 150th Gettysburg doing demos. A elderly lady said she had just retired from the surgical theater after 44 yrs. She told me they still use hand bone saws. I asked why. She said the new buzz saws jam sometimes about half way into a femure. They finish with a hand saw so as to not fracture or chip the bone. I had no idea that they were still using them. That is one of the reasons why I love CW medical. Again along the line you mention.

lelliott19

Brigadier General
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Hello @surgeon1862 and welcome to Civil War Talk, the best place on the internet for Civil War discussion.

So happy you have joined us! That's a very nice collection! Thanks for sharing your fantastic exhibit of Civil War surgical instruments and medical implements with us. That's an amazing pocket kit! Could you post a close up of it and the info card? Thanks again and welcome aboard!