Medal of Honor Recipient Axel H. Reed

Mike Serpa

Major
Axel H. Reed.jpg

RESUMING DIARY AFTER 3 MONTHS' REST.
"Feb. 18, 1864. My journal was cut short on November 24th, and has remained unwritten for reasons of an accident which occurred to me November 25th at the storming- of Missionary Ridge, which resulted in the loss of my right arm. After returning from camp with rations, to my regiment, we lay in line of battle all night near the picket line. It was a very cold night and we suffered greatly. The fight was kept up by Hooker's men and the enemy on the mountain until 11 o'clock at night and we could distinguish the two lines by the flash of their guns, the rebels leaving the mountain during the night. In the absence of any commissioned officer, the command of the company fell on me. During the forenoon of the 2.5th, we marched towards our left to the support of Gen. Sherman, but turned back about noon and marched back to the front a little to the left of Fort Wood, and about four o'clock we were ordered to charge the rebel works at the Ridge, without firing a gun — the 2nd Minnesota being deployed in front of the Brigade. The line of works was taken without serious loss.
The impetuosity of some of the troops led them over the works and up the Ridge after the enemy. Gen. Grant seeing this, ordered the whole line and support forward; and the whole Ridge in front was swept as if by a 'hurricane' and about fifty pieces of cannon fell into our hands. I reached the top of the Ridge and fired two shots into the retreating and confused rebels, and then in company with more disorganized troops, followed them up every man for himself. After following them some distance I came suddenly near them where they were rallying for a stand around a new Confederate flag. I fired at a rebel that had just mounted a horse to ride off with a piece of artillery, and before I got loaded again a minnie ball struck my right arm, shattering the bone for eight inches above the elbow. I had to lie for some time between the fire of our men and the rebels, before our men succeeded in driving the rebels, which was a happy moment to me. I succeeded in getting off my coat with the help of a wounded comrade, and tearing the strap from my haversack, and tying it above my wound, partially stopping the blood. I walked down to the foot of the Ridge, (meeting our victorious legions rushing onward to victory) about dark, just in time to find a wagon drawn by six mules, going to Chattanooga (3 miles distant) which carried me direct to the 3d Division, 14th Army Corps Hospital, where my arm was amputated about 9 o'clock p. m., Nov. 25th, 1863."

AHR2.jpg

Source for above: Genealogical Record of the Reads, Reeds, the Bisbees, the Bradfords of the United States of America in the line of Esdras Read of Boston and England, 1635-1915. Axel H. Reed, 1915

MOH Citation - While in arrest* at Chickamauga, Ga., left his place in the rear and voluntarily went to the line of battle, secured a rifle, and fought gallantly during the 2 day battle; was released from arrest in recognition of his bravery. At Missionary Ridge commanded his company and gallantly led it, being among the first to enter the enemy's works; was severely wounded, losing an arm, but declined a discharge and remained in active service to the end of the war.

* Elsewhere in the book Reed mentions he was arrested for breach of discipline. General Brannon acknowledges Reed's bravery to General Thomas who directs the preferred charges to be withdrawn and Reed restored to duty.

Secretary of War Russell Alger mailed Reed his Medal of Honor in the late 1890s.

Back