Meade Meade's wounds at Glendale

frang57

Cadet
Hi folks. I am looking for specific information on the wounds suffered by Meade at the Seven Days battle. More specific than side, arm and back that is. I've done some searching and come up with nothing yet. Thought I'd try this.

Don't know if this is more detailed than what you have. Meade was struck in the arm by a bullet, and another in his hip which went around his body. He also received a lung wound, which troubled him the rest of his life and probably was the cause of his death from pneumonia.

Don't know if this is more detailed than what you have. Meade was struck in the arm by a bullet, and another in his hip which went around his body. He also received a lung wound, which troubled him the rest of his life and probably was the cause of his death from pneumonia.
Thanks. That's exactly what I was looking for.

O.R.-- SERIES I--VOLUME XI/2 [S# 13]
PENINSULAR CAMPAIGN--SEVEN DAYS' BATTLES
No. 154. -- Reports of Brig. Gen. George A. McCall, U.S. Army, commanding Third Division, of the battles of Mechanicsville, Gaines' Mill, and Glendale, or Nelson's Farm (Frazier's Farm).

HEADQUARTERS MCCALL'S DIVISION,
Camp near Harrison's Landing, August 12, 1862.
SIR: I have the honor to submit herewith a report of the operations of my division in the battles before Richmond on the 26th, 27th, and 30th June last, my capture by the enemy at the close of the battle of the 30th and subsequent detention in prison at Richmond having necessarily deferred my report until the present day.
[excerpt]
The conduct of the division in this hard-fought field is worthy of all praise. Besides the officers already named, I have to thank Brig. Gen. George G. Meade, who was severely wounded, Colonel Sickel, of the Third Pennsylvania Reserves, and a number of others, who contributed largely to the result desired, namely, to defend the position until after the heavy supply train had placed itself in safety.
[excerpt]
-------------
http://www.civilwar.com/people/20-union-generals/148518-george-gordon-meade.html

[excerpt]
In March of 1862, his brigade was placed under the command of Major General George B. McClellan's Army of the Potomac in which he served during the Peninsula Campaign in southeastern Virginia. During this campaign there was a succession of six battles in seven days-called the Seven Days Battles, from June 25 to July 1, 1862-of which
George G. Meade

participated in three: Mechanicsville, Gaines' Mill and Glendale. At the Battle of Glendale, Meade received multiple wounds in his arm, back, and side. "A musket ball struck him above his hip, clipped his liver, and just missed his spine as it passed through his body. Another bullet struck his arm, but the feisty general stuck to his horse and continued to direct his troops. It was only after a heavy loss of blood that he was forced to leave the field" (http://www.nps.gov/archive/gett/getttour/sidebar/meadebio.htm).

After recovering in Philadelphia, he rejoined his command in September, ready to continue their campaign. After the Confederate Army of Northern Virginia invaded Maryland.

[end of excerpt]
------------------------------------------

No. 154. -- Reports of Brig. Gen. George A. McCall, U.S. Army, commanding Third Division, of the battles of Mechanicsville, Gaines' Mill, and Glendale, or Nelson's Farm (Frazier's Farm).

SIR: I have the honor to submit herewith a report of the operations of my division in the battles before Richmond on the 26th, 27th, and 30th June last, my capture by the enemy at the close of the battle of the 30th and subsequent detention in prison at Richmond having necessarily deferred my report until the present day.
[excerpt]
The conduct of the division in this hard-fought field is worthy of all praise. Besides the officers already named, I have to thank Brig. Gen. George G. Meade, who was severely wounded, Colonel Sickel, of the Third Pennsylvania Reserves, and a number of others, who contributed largely to the result desired, namely, to defend the position until after the heavy supply train had placed itself in safety.
[excerpt]
-------------
http://www.civilwar.com/people/20-union-generals/148518-george-gordon-meade.html

[excerpt]
In March of 1862, his brigade was placed under the command of Major General George B. McClellan's Army of the Potomac in which he served during the Peninsula Campaign in southeastern Virginia. During this campaign there was a succession of six battles in seven days-called the Seven Days Battles, from June 25 to July 1, 1862-of which
George G. Meade

participated in three: Mechanicsville, Gaines' Mill and Glendale. At the Battle of Glendale, Meade received multiple wounds in his arm, back, and side. "A musket ball struck him above his hip, clipped his liver, and just missed his spine as it passed through his body. Another bullet struck his arm, but the feisty general stuck to his horse and continued to direct his troops. It was only after a heavy loss of blood that he was forced to leave the field" (http://www.nps.gov/archive/gett/getttour/sidebar/meadebio.htm).

After recovering in Philadelphia, he rejoined his command in September, ready to continue their campaign. After the Confederate Army of Northern Virginia invaded Maryland.

[end of excerpt]

[excerpt]
[excerpt]
-------------

[excerpt]
George G. Meade

[end of excerpt]

That's great! Thanks. From what I have read he was wounded three times at Glendale and once at Antietam but ot looks like he was actually hit by two slugs at Glendale. Is there any way to clarify a wound to a lung? Or did that simply not occur.

That's great! Thanks. From what I have read he was wounded three times at Glendale and once at Antietam but ot looks like he was actually hit by two slugs at Glendale. Is there any way to clarify a wound to a lung? Or did that simply not occur.

Correction. Meade didn't receive a direct wound in the lungs - his wound to the hip, which clipped his liver, brought on chronic inflammation of the lungs. This condition plagued him all the rest of his life and finally ended in a fatal pneumonia. The bullet that struck his hip was a .58, possibly a minie ball. Those type of bullets were soft and the main problem with them was the extensive destruction of soft tissue. Darn things did a LOT of damage!

Yes. I understand that pure lead, as was used at the time, tended to flatten out quite a bit.

Back