Meade's HQ T&N Including the Cyclorama Building

Gettysburg Greg

First Sergeant
In case you may have forgotten how intrusive the old Cyclorama building was, check out this then and now I put together several years ago. I used Gardner's photograph of the Leister farm that included several horses killed during the Confederate bombardment prior to Pickett's Charge. In my now photo you can see how the Cyclorama building dominated the landscape in this critical area of the battlefield. So glad it is gone!
hq str.jpg

In the "before" shot, notice the rock wall in the foreground (to the right of center) at the point where apparently stones from the wall have been thrown down in the direction of the observer. Could this have been the result of a limber/gun, or caisson team going over the wall, coming from the front? Or, perhaps less likely, the result of a Confederate artillery round strike? Has this been previously discussed?

In the "before" shot, notice the rock wall in the foreground (to the right of center) at the point where apparently stones from the wall have been thrown down in the direction of the observer. Could this have been the result of a limber/gun, or caisson team going over the wall, coming from the front? Or, perhaps less likely, the result of a Confederate artillery round strike? Has this been previously discussed?
Hello, Tom thanks for commenting. I happen to believe both your suggestions are possible. It was Confederate "overshots" that killed the horses so some rounds may well have struck the rock wall. Besides that, I'm sure that any wagons on the Leister property were frantically trying to escape to the Taneytown Road and may have gone right over the low wall.

Well done sir! I have applauded the NPS for their efforts to return the battlefields to the their appearance during the ACW. The Shiloh Park staff have been working diligently to restore important parts of the battlefield and have been very successful.
Regards
David

It was common to take down fences stone walls etc in advance. imho this what has happened. Made a little road or path ahead of time.
I agree that reb artillery did it's share of too.
That and all the fence rails are missing read as burnt.

The spread of stone from the wall seems a little too orderly for a shell strike. Since we're speculating here, I'll say it was manually prepared as a ramp to get the batteries and caissons to the top of the hill.

Back