McCook Raid during Atlanta Campaign

Also going to Dickson's Bridge today to see if it is a good candidate for metal detecting.

Went to Whitewater Creek and Redwine road today for a few hours. Only thing picked up with the metal detector was barb wire, very common around here. It is heavily grown over but there were a few bare spots but no luck finding anything, this trip anyway.
That is interesting that you haven't found anything. I wonder if the Atlanta Round Table might know of the location.

Also going to Dickson's Bridge today to see if it is a good candidate for metal detecting.
Dickson's bridge and to the East of the bridge where the McDonough rd and the panhandle rd intersect might prove a good location.

I went to Dicksons Bridge, lots of woods but no place to park. Will take a bicycle down there end of next week to see what I find. McDonough Road and Panhandle is all built up now. Nothing there to find.

I found in the war records this about the Mule wagon train.... doesn't give a lot of details... location..

JULY 31, 1864-4.15 p. m.

Lieutenant-General HARDEE, Commanding Corps:

The following dispatch just received from General Wheeler:

We fought the enemy from last night until to-night, killing and capturing many. We have thus far succeeded in keeping between them and the river, and they are showing evident signs of demoralization, having abandoned all their artillery, ambulance train, a large number of horses and mules, strewing the road with their arms and accounterments, and releasing some 300 of our people, whom they captured with the wagon trains at Fayetteville.

I must be the world's worst metal detectorist. I have been to some pretty good areas and never found anything other than junk.

Went searching in Jonesboro again this morning at a sight where I know a Confederate was and found beer cans and rusty nails. It was at the corner of Hwy 138 and N. Main st. meet. A big area of woods. But found nothing Civil War related.

Back