Research McClellan's Electoral Success, AoP vs Western Theater

CyleKostello

Private
Hi all!

I'm sure this is an easily answered question. Was there a noticeable/significant difference in votes for McClellan in the AotP than say the Army of the Cumberland?

I ask because I'm in the process of typing up the 1864 diary of a 1st sergeant in the 31st OVI. According to him Lincoln got 221 (could be 991, not entirely sure w his handwriting), to McClellan's 16 I wondered if McClellan's role as Commander still left some lingering good feelings by Nov of 1864.

Thanks!
Kyle

Lubliner

Captain
Forum Host
Not so easy for me, I can't answer it but someone will know! I do know Lincoln was inclined to believe he had lost the election before the results came in. Thinking back on it, I want to say someone close to the President had rallied the men in the AOTP for Lincoln.
Lubliner.

leftyhunter

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Hi all!

I'm sure this is an easily answered question. Was there a noticeable/significant difference in votes for McClellan in the AotP than say the Army of the Cumberland?

I ask because I'm in the process of typing up the 1864 diary of a 1st sergeant in the 31st OVI. According to him Lincoln got 221 (could be 991, not entirely sure w his handwriting), to McClellan's 16 I wondered if McClellan's role as Commander still left some lingering good feelings by Nov of 1864.

Thanks!
Kyle
That might be an impossible question to answer because army votes would be part of an overall states votes. McCelllan didn't do to badly in the popular vote catagory that is some major party candidates have lost by a greater percentage of the popular vote but McCelllan only won two states Ky and his native Nj.
We do know that McCelllan was a very popular commanding general with the rank and file of the AoP so it's possible McCelllan received more votes from the AoP but of course not enough to make a difference.
Leftyhunter

CyleKostello

Private
That might be an impossible question to answer because army votes would be part of an overall states votes. McCelllan didn't do to badly in the popular vote catagory that is some major party candidates have lost by a greater percentage of the popular vote but McCelllan only won two states Ky and his native Nj.
We do know that McCelllan was a very popular commanding general with the rank and file of the AoP so it's possible McCelllan received more votes from the AoP but of course not enough to make a difference.
Leftyhunte
Thank you! I suppose it makes more sense to add army votes to their home state. I suppose a way to get a rough estimate would be to compare McClellan’s votes in the western states vs the eastern states.
Seeing as the AoP had a larger share of Eastern regiments than the armies out west. Of course that’s hardly a scientific comparison haha

leftyhunter

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Thank you! I suppose it makes more sense to add army votes to their home state. I suppose a way to get a rough estimate would be to compare McClellan’s votes in the western states vs the eastern states.
Seeing as the AoP had a larger share of Eastern regiments than the armies out west. Of course that’s hardly a scientific comparison haha
True has state regiments had men from various states and it territories. It wasn't uncommon for Union Regiments to have former Confedrate soldiers in their ranks and more so in the West as most Unionists didn't live near the coast although there were Unionist regiments raised on the Atlantic Coast in Nc and Fl.
Leftyhunter

Don Dixon

Sergeant
In the fall 1864 presidential election, the soldiers were faced with a choice. The Democratic Party ran Major General McClellan, who was still much beloved by the Army of the Potomac, for president on a peace platform. If McClellan was elected the war would almost certainly end on terms generally favorable to the Confederates. If Lincoln was reelected the war would continue to its bitter and bloody end. By that stage of the war the Federal Army was experienced in combat and knew exactly what it was facing if Lincoln was reelected. Despite this, seven out of ten soldiers in the Army of the Potomac voted for Lincoln, and in the western armies eight out of ten voted for him. It is the only time in history that I know of where experienced soldiers engaged in a war were given a clear opportunity to vote on whether the killing and dying should continue and chose that it should do so. (Goodwin, Team of Rivals, 666)

Regards,
Don Dixon

JeffFromSyracuse

Corporal
Dovetailing off of this, I'm assuming ballots aren't kept in archives? The regiment I'm studying went to McClellan according to the home Democrat paper, with no indication otherwise from either home Republican paper. But that really doesn't make sense, considering the known political affiliations of the men and how their home county went for Lincoln.

A mystery I don't expect to crack, but I'd like to explore my options!

CyleKostello

Private
In the fall 1864 presidential election, the soldiers were faced with a choice. The Democratic Party ran Major General McClellan, who was still much beloved by the Army of the Potomac, for president on a peace platform. If McClellan was elected the war would almost certainly end on terms generally favorable to the Confederates. If Lincoln was reelected the war would continue to its bitter and bloody end. By that stage of the war the Federal Army was experienced in combat and knew exactly what it was facing if Lincoln was reelected. Despite this, seven out of ten soldiers in the Army of the Potomac voted for Lincoln, and in the western armies eight out of ten voted for him. It is the only time in history that I know of where experienced soldiers engaged in a war were given a clear opportunity to vote on whether the killing and dying should continue and chose that it should do so. (Goodwin, Team of Rivals, 666)

Regards,
Don Dixon
Exactly what I was looking for, thank you Don! Guess it’s about time to re read Team of Rivals