McClellan, George B.

A

aphillbilly

"I find myself in a new and strange position here: President, cabinet, Gen. Scott, and all deferring to me. By some strange operation of magic I seem to have become the power of the land."

George B. McClellan

"I prefer Lee to Johnston. The former is too cautious and weak under grave responsibility -- personally brave and energetic to a fault, he yet is wanting in moral firmness when pressed by heavy responsibility and is likely to be timid and irresolute in action."

General George McClellan

"General McClellan, if I understand you correctly, before you strike at the Rebels, you want to be sure of plenty of room so you can run in case they strike back."

Zachariah Chandler, senator from Michigan and member of the Joint Committee on Conduct of the War, questioning Gen. George McClellan on why he did not march against the enemy, 1862.

Unionblue

"Here is a paper with which if I cannot whip Bobbie Lee I will be willing to go home!"

G.B. McClellan after receiving a copy of Army of Northern Virginia Special Order 191, 1862.

Seems we love to pick on Little Mac, but why not!

This from Reveille in Washington by by Margaret Leech:

"The removal of Scott and his elevation to the Chief command had not satisfied McClellan. His inflated self-esteem required that he should not be crossed or even questioned by anyone. ... A touchy vanity [emphasis mine] lay at the base of McClellan's arrogance. He liked only subordinates and uncritical admirers, and could find comfort in the approval of his horse, writing that "he, at least, had full confidence in his master.""

I just think that that phrase "touchy vanity" sort of sums it up. The letters to his wife would provide psychoanalysts a wealth of material for a classic something or other ("delusions of grandeur", etc. ??)

Back