May 6th Discussion: Paroling General Lee's Army

I never knew much about my great great grandfather. I did not know his name and don't think my mother knew the name of her great grandfather. My wife did some genealogy and found him. He was in some Michigan Regiment but I don't recall which one.

Good luck with your search! I have a 2x great uncle who was killed during Pickett's charge and his body was never recovered. He is probably among the unknown in Hollywood cemetery in Richmond, Va.

My grandfather died when I was 30 and never said anything about his grandfather. Not sure he knew his grandfather's name.

So I went to Chattanooga last month and tried to figure out what happened to my 4th great grandfather and they said he had to be captured to have been in a Chattanooga TN hospital. All I know about him is he was with the 16th Georgia Infantry and that he died in a Hospital in Hamilton County Tennessee. but he has such a common name it would take forever to find him. I was told he's probably buried in Marietta or Atlanta Georgia.

I am calling it a night. I am behind on my reading and could read for an hour or two.

I have a 3x great grandfather, Martin Thorne of the 2nd North Carolina in my signature who died in Lovettville, Virginia in October 1862 of disease. No one knows where he was buried.

I had the same thing with the brother of the uncle I mentioned earlier tonight who walked from Appomattox. Anyway he had a brother who died of pneumonia 1862 and no one in the family ever could find him so I went looking for him and found him buried in Hollywood Cemetery with an unmarked grave. the family never could afford to go look for him so it felt so great to be able to find him.

I'll be right back. I was wondering why my dog was staring at me so hard and then I realized I'd forgotten to feed him!

Back