Votes: 2 11.8%
  • ZINFANDEL

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • OTHER

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • ALL OF THE ABOVE

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters
No expert. I brought a bottle home one day and my wife loved it. Next time I brought the wrong one home and I loved it and my wife hated it. So next time I had the wine guy at our local bottle shop educate me.

Love the people at my local wine shop, always so helpful with wine conundrums.

Ah, memories of youth. The one that I'll never forget is Bali Hai. A special experience.

Ah, the Bali Hai is a memory from my mom's youth as well...hmm...what's in that stuff? Is is a wine cooler?

I remember one really bad hangover when we drank two big bottles of Bali Hai.I thought I was going to die.too sweet but it went down easy.

I remember distinctly colored puke on fresh snow. Fifty years ago and I still remember; that's special.

Ah, the Bali Hai is a memory from my mom's youth as well...hmm...what's in that stuff? Is is a wine cooler?

At this point I don't want to know what was in it but it was way before wine coolers. Essentially, it was very cheap fruity wine. The sort of thing teenagers would like and could afford. And ask your mom about ripple; bet she knows.

I remember distinctly colored puke on fresh snow. Fifty years ago and I still remember; that's special.

At this point I don't want to know what was in it but it was way before wine coolers. Essentially, it was very cheap fruity wine. The sort of thing teenagers would like and could afford. And ask your mom about ripple; bet she knows.
I remember that too well,worse then yellow snow.

Ah, yes dad mentioned Ripple in the past when mom mentioned the Bali Hai :smoke:

The voting choice screen didn't feature an "All of the Above" vote. Oops on you. Don't you realize that many of us might like ALL of these choices, depending on the situation? Our picks will probably depend on what we are eating at any given meal.

Ergo, even though I don't see this choice in the voting screen, I'm going to say: "I vote for all of the above". I am confident that most of you will understand my vote.

I am a wine lover so I can really relate to @Patrick H. I would like to vote for all of the above. I just can't imagine enjoying certain foods without vino. Italian food just screams Chianti to me. My wine favorites are also somewhat seasonal. I love a glass of Riesling on a hot summer day or a crisp glass of Chardonnay. In the winter I love Malbec or a full-bodied Cabernet. Glogg is a holiday favorite. It's just a mulled wine with spices that is delicious served hot. And of course. who doesn't love champagne??? Since my husband and I retired we keep a bottle chilled all the time. A mimosa isn't just for Sunday brunch anymore! Seriously, I have one almost every morning. :hungry: Yummy!

The voting choice screen didn't feature an "All of the Above" vote. Oops on you. Don't you realize that many of us might like ALL of these choices, depending on the situation? Our picks will probably depend on what we are eating at any given meal.

Ergo, even though I don't see this choice in the voting screen, I'm going to say: "I vote for all of the above". I am confident that most of you will understand my vote.

I do get your choice for all of the above and I agree, as I have enjoyed most if not all of the above! So, it's been added to the poll as a choice!!!

I am a wine lover so I can really relate to @Patrick H. I would like to vote for all of the above. I just can't imagine enjoying certain foods without vino. Italian food just screams Chianti to me. My wine favorites are also somewhat seasonal. I love a glass of Riesling on a hot summer day or a crisp glass of Chardonnay. In the winter I love Malbec or a full-bodied Cabernet. Glogg is a holiday favorite. It's just a mulled wine with spices that is delicious served hot. And of course. who doesn't love champagne??? Since my husband and I retired we keep a bottle chilled all the time. A mimosa isn't just for Sunday brunch anymore! Seriously, I have one almost every morning. :hungry: Yummy!

How is Malbec? I've actually been tempted to try it but someone discouraged me as it being on the very light side and not robust like Cabernet.

How is Malbec? I've actually been tempted to try it but someone discouraged me as it being on the very light side and not robust like Cabernet.

I wouldn't describe Malbec as "very light". It's generally more full-bodied than most Merlot or Pinot but usually not as big as a Cabernet. We both like it and a number of the wineries around here make one. Give it a try.

I wouldn't describe Malbec as "very light". It's generally more full-bodied than most Merlot or Pinot but usually not as big as a Cabernet. We both like it and a number of the wineries around here make one. Give it a try.

Sounds like a good blend. I'll have to give it a go. I notice a lot of Malbecs are from Australia, should I go with one of those are the California ones just as good? I'm a fan California wines for reds and Chardonnay. I love Riesling from Washington and Oregon. They really do have some good wine in the Willamette Valley!

Sounds like a good blend. I'll have to give it a go. I notice a lot of Malbecs are from Australia, should I go with one of those are the California ones just as good? I'm a fan California wines for reds and Chardonnay. I love Riesling from Washington and Oregon. They really do have some good wine in the Willamette Valley!

Malbec is a Spanish varietal that's now very big in Argentina. Some of the really good ones we've had were from Argentina. Haven't tried an Aussie one (we only get the cheap Aussie stuff around here). As to Oregon, well ..... especially for reds southern Oregon makes the best imho, although I do have to say the Willamette folks make the best Pinot Noir. Northern Oregon is more of a white type climate but I'm partial to our whites too, especially our Pinot Gris and Viognier. We've got several wineries that regularly win big time at the San Francisco competition (biggest in the U.S.).

I don't know if any of our region's wines are sold in New York but if Oregon wine is commonly available I'd guess at least a few are. If you can get southern Oregon wines let me know and I'll recommend a few brands to look for.

Last edited:

My personal favorite is Alamos Malbec. It comes from high-altitude vineyards in the Mendoza wine region of western Argentina. It has a dark, blackish purple color. For the wine connoisseur or well guided novice, the aroma is that of ripe dark fruits and black pepper spice. The taste is black raspberry and currant flavors mingled with sweet spice. The finish is long and persistent with soft, sweet tannins. I would never consider this wine to be light. By all means give it a try. The Alamos brand is moderately priced so it would be a great place to start.

My personal favorite is Alamos Malbec. It comes from high-altitude vineyards in the Mendoza wine region of western Argentina. It has a dark, blackish purple color. For the wine connoisseur or well guided novice, the aroma is that of ripe dark fruits and black pepper spice. The taste is black raspberry and currant flavors mingled with sweet spice. The finish is long and persistent with soft, sweet tannins. I would never consider this wine to be light. By all means give it a try. The Alamos brand is moderately priced so it would be a great place to start.
You guys know way too much about wine. One might suspect that a little snobbery might be seeping in here! Yikes!

Thanks for starting this thread @Anna Elizabeth Henry! I've already picked up some new information from @John Winn and @Jimklag. I also know I'll get some great wine if I visit @amweiner! I hope more folks will vote. I already changed my vote to All Of The Above! I'm curious about your favorite wine. Hope you'll share.

It's amazing how much we all learn from each other on the forum on all sorts of topics isn't it? I left my selection on Cabernet. My personal favorite wine is the Columbia Crest Grand Estates Cabernet Sauvignon from Washington. Its very affordable and has such a full bodied rich oaky-ness.

When my son was living in Germany he would bring us some really great German wine from the smaller Vinyard that we never get to see them here,problem is that it sort of spoils you..

I agree, there are certain things people bring back from their travels that you can't get here otherwise and you end up enjoying it in small increments as a result.

Back