CWT Presents Matt Atkinson - January 20 at 8:30pm EST

That was quintessential Ranger Matt, an American original. A gifted storyteller, candid, funny, honest, playful, and engaging. Many of us stayed on just to hear him shoot the breeze. His ranger walks at Gettysburg are like that too. They are generally scheduled for an hour and a half but often go 2.5 hours, just for reasons like we saw tonight. He genuinely wants to get at the crux of the story, engage deeply with the questions, and have a good time doing it. It's like hanging out on the front porch with a neighbor. Charming to see his proud mom on the call as well.

Tina referenced the YouTube channel run by a young man named StuffWriter. He has over 50 Ranger Matt guided walks at Gettysburg (I show up in several), which are wonderful background (or foreground) listening to anyone interested in the war. You can see all of the videos here.

Many thanks to the organizers for getting him, for arranging the call, and for the breezy interactions. Well done all.

Dave DuBrucq

Corporal
Enjoyed the presentation but there was no chat option. That was true for every one. Zoom kicked me out twice and that is the first time I have experienced that. Was able to get back in the first time, but not the second. I was wondering if anyone else had issues?
I reinstalled the app, so will see how it goes on Saturday with my SUVCW meeting.

ucvrelics

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
Regtl. Quartermaster Shiloh 2020
Enjoyed the presentation but there was no chat option. That was true for every one. Zoom kicked me out twice and that is the first time I have experienced that. Was able to get back in the first time, but not the second. I was wondering if anyone else had issues?
I reinstalled the app, so will see how it goes on Saturday with my SUVCW meeting.
I liked the no chat. We are there to here a presentation and not clutter up the chat room with ****. Being able to ask him questions directly and not have them read is a lot better way to go. The staff (Tina, Dianna, and Ashley) did a fantastic job herding cats and it came off well.

19thOhio

Private
Having a chat room is a bit annoying to see yet interesting seeing the questions being asked. And it allows anyone to get into the discussion with the presenter, even if the next day. Using the raised hand technique seemed to allow chats between friends thus taking up valuable time actually discussing the topic, that being Robert E. Lee or that is what was advertised. At one time there seemed to be 80 people in the Zoom meeting, how many questions got asked and answered, at least within the actual hour scheduled for the meeting?

Dave DuBrucq

Corporal
I liked the no chat. We are there to here a presentation and not clutter up the chat room with ****. Being able to ask him questions directly and not have them read is a lot better way to go. The staff (Tina, Dianna, and Ashley) did a fantastic job herding cats and it came off well.
I can see advantages to both. Questions in Chat are direct and everyone can see them. This moves the process along more quickly and allows more questions in the allotted time. On the other hand, the one on one interaction is for more personal but can be, as you say, like herding cats. Either way is fine with me.

kathomp

Cadet
That was quintessential Ranger Matt, an American original. A gifted storyteller, candid, funny, honest, playful, and engaging. Many of us stayed on just to hear him shoot the breeze. His ranger walks at Gettysburg are like that too. They are generally scheduled for an hour and a half but often go 2.5 hours, just for reasons like we saw tonight. He genuinely wants to get at the crux of the story, engage deeply with the questions, and have a good time doing it. It's like hanging out on the front porch with a neighbor. Charming to see his proud mom on the call as well.

Tina referenced the YouTube channel run by a young man named StuffWriter. He has over 50 Ranger Matt guided walks at Gettysburg (I show up in several), which are wonderful background (or foreground) listening to anyone interested in the war. You can see all of the videos here.

Many thanks to the organizers for getting him, for arranging the call, and for the breezy interactions. Well done all.
After the Zoom meeting with Matt, I accessed his Youtube channel and really enjoyed the videos I had time to see that day. Will go back for more and it's a 'liked and subscribed.' Remember, storytelling IS THE SOUTH.