Matilda "Tillie" Pierce

kitty o'cairre

Corporal
out amongst the tumbleweeds north texas =)
Matilda "Tillie" Pierce a 15 yr old girl that would witness the Battle of Gettysburg and write one of the most famous books of the battle "At Gettysburg" or "What a Girl Saw and Heard of The Battle." Tillie not only witnessed the battle but also assisted the surgeons with the wounded and dying.

These are her words for July 1st, the start of the battle:
"We awoke early. It was impossible to become drowsy with the events of the previous day uppermost in our minds. We were prompt enough at breakfast that morning.
As more soldiers were expected, and in order to show how welcome they would be, my sister and I had, on the previous evening, prepared a tableful of boquets which we intended to hand or throw to them as they passed our house.
We had no sooner finished our breakfast when it was announced that troops were coming. We hastened up what we called the side street, (Breckenridge,) and on reaching Washington Street, again saw some of our army passing.
First came a long line of cavalry, then wagon after wagon passed by for quite awhile. .Again we sang patriotic songs as they moved along. Some of these wagons were filled with stretchers and other articles; in others we noticed soldiers reclining, who were doubtless in some way disabled.
It was between nine and ten o'clock when we first noticed firing in the direction of Seminary Ridge. At first the sound was faint, then it grew louder. Soon the booming of cannon was heard, then great clouds of smoke were seen rising beyond the ridge. The sound became louder and louder, and was now incessant. The troops passing us moved faster, the men had now become excited and urged on their horses. The battle was waging. This was my first terrible experience.
I remember hearing some of the soldiers remarking that there was no telling how soon some of them would be brought back in those ambulances, or carried on the stretchers. I hardly knew what it meant, but I learned afterward, even before the day had passed."

I was impressed by her story as I read it on a marker while standing outside of her house. It's a bed and breakfast now.
tillie-pierce.jpg

Quite a story she told. Remarkably her parents sent to the Jacob Weikert Farm for safety. Unfortunately that Farm is near a rather important Hill in Gettysburg.

Attached is an interesting read of this Farm from an old Gettysburg Daily piece.

Don't you love it her book was titled " What A Girl Saw " ? Can you imagine? Somewhere she describes piles of amputated limbs- I think her choice of title may have been very deliberate, what young girl sees that?

Nice thread, Kitty, thank you!

Back