Mathew Brady on the McPherson Farm T&N

Gettysburg Greg

First Sergeant
A T&N using one of Mathew Brady's three photographs taken on the McPherson farm in which he posed with back to camera. In my now image I am standing near the same spot as Brady.
ba1.jpg

edit.JPG

Great comparison. It is a shame that the other buildings didn't survive the ravages of time.

Some believe that Henry Heth was wounded from a sharpshooter holed up in this barn but that is highly debateable . The barn was also used as an emergency field hospital. Nearby in the McPherson woods, you can find the Heth wounding tree stump.

Thanks for posting yet another interesting comparison.
I, too, lament the missing buildings. I've often wondered if it would be of value to rebuild them in order to present a more accurate perspective.

It's increasingly hard to find. From what I saw a couple of weeks ago, it has disintegrated to just a few traces.
OK, I know this is a bit off topic, but talking about tree stumps, I was surprised that the old oak stump that was always the marker for where Albert Sidney Johnston was mortally wounded at Shiloh was just left to totally disappear too. It is mentioned in the nearby markers, but the stump itself is totally gone. No trace. I only remember exactly where it stood because I saw it many times growing up and visiting the park years ago. Kind of a shame...

OK, I know this is a bit off topic, but talking about tree stumps, I was surprised that the old oak stump that was always the marker for where Albert Sidney Johnston was mortally wounded at Shiloh was just left to totally disappear too. It is mentioned in the nearby markers, but the stump itself is totally gone. No trace. I only remember exactly where it stood because I saw it many times growing up and visiting the park years ago. Kind of a shame...
I don't know how descriptive the nearby markers are, but maybe suggest the NPS place a concrete place marker much like a survey monument marker

I don't know how descriptive the nearby markers are, but maybe suggest the NPS place a concrete place marker much like a survey monument marker
The stump used to have steel cable anchors to stabilize it and a metal protective fence around it at one time. It is obvious the NPS made a conscious decision at some point in time to let the location go back to nature because everything has been removed. Not a trace of the old stump or its exact location remain. Just a general reference to its general location from the descriptive plaques. Sad...

Two of my favorite books are William Frassanito's books on Antietam and Gettysburg where he finds does the same thing you did by using trees and rocks.
I would take a magnifying glass to those pictures back then. Now it's reading glasses. and a magnifying glass.
Not to hijack the thread, this is Mr. Frassanito back in the day:
Picture106.jpg

The Frazz. Vietnam vet. Military photographic analyst. Good Washington Post article on him.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...ory.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.34f5a748c1c0

Back