HF Matamoros - Civil War on the Rio Grande

Historical-Fiction

Doc Harmony

Cadet
Hi. I've never posted here before. Been researching an area of the Civil War few folks know about - Matamoros. By 1862 the Union had blockaded all Confederate ports. Just across the Rio Grande from Brownsville, Texas, Matamoros – a foreign port – was the only harbor where the South could ship its cotton to Europe, and smuggle in arms for the rebellion. So it became a haven for Yankee and Rebel spies, gunrunners and cotton smugglers, runaway slaves, Mexican guerreros, Texas Rangers and rogues of every stripe.

But Matamoros was also full of French Foreign Legionnaires and Austrian footsoldiers – because that same year, Napoleon III had invaded Mexico, to install Archduke Maximilian of Austria as Emperor.

I got so interested in this history I wrote a grand adventure romance novel about it. Set against the backdrop of two wars, it's the story of Clay – an expatriate Southern gentleman running a gambling hall – and Allie, his ex-con artist partner, bringing her cotton train to market – in a star-crossed affair that may or may not survive their conflicted allegiances amidst the tides of battle.

Would love to talk about it here, but also want to let you know the Kindle version of Matamoros is available for pre-order now, and both the ebook and the paperback will be released on 12/20/2019, on Amazon. Here's the link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082C1QHST/?tag=civilwartalkc-20. And here's the cover:

Matamoros Front Cover thumbnail.jpg

Back