Master List of Quotes Citing Reasons OTHER THAN Slavery as the Principal Cause of Secession

This is the parallel thread I promised to the other list I started:

https://civilwartalk.com/threads/ma...-principal-cause-of-secession-and-war.138590/

Those who can find meaningful contemporary quotes suggesting that slavery and its future were not the principal cause of the secession of the original seven Confederate states are encouraged to post them here.

Note, I am interested only in documented historical quotes from actual secessionists and their contemporary sympathizers or opponents, not the opinions of modern pundits or historians. Thank you.

Let's see how many clear, attributable quotes folks can come up with. Be the first to provide one! Let's see if there really are two credible sides to this debate.

Last edited:

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

19thGeorgia

2nd Lieutenant
Seriously great job in collecting all the wuotes in one easy to find location. By rights your post should finally put "the what caused the Civil War " question to bed once and for all. However lets see what our friends @Harvey Johnson @Drew @19thGeorgia and others have to say.
Leftyhunter
Jefferson Davis' Inaugural Speech, the Founding Document of the Confederacy, February 18, 1861 (note: slavery is not mentioned)-
"...If, however, passion or the lust of dominion should cloud the judgment or inflame the ambition of those States, we must prepare to meet the emergency and to maintain, by the final arbitrament of the sword, the position which we have assumed among the nations of the earth."
https://jeffersondavis.rice.edu/archives/documents/jefferson-davis-first-inaugural-address

Jefferson Davis' Inaugural Speech, the Founding Document of the Confederacy, February 18, 1861 (note: slavery is not mentioned)-
"...If, however, passion or the lust of dominion should cloud the judgment or inflame the ambition of those States, we must prepare to meet the emergency and to maintain, by the final arbitrament of the sword, the position which we have assumed among the nations of the earth."
https://jeffersondavis.rice.edu/archives/documents/jefferson-davis-first-inaugural-address
This quote does not give a reason for secession. It counsels war if the North does not acquiesce to southern secession. As such, it does not belong on this thread, because it tells us nothing about the cause of secession. If Davis states a clear, unambiguous reason why the election of Abraham Lincoln triggered southern secession anywhere in his inaugural speech, then please share that quote. (Spoiler alert: Davis more than hints at slavery in several places in his inaugural speech, but he suggests no other specific cause.)

Last edited:
Interesting project. I recommend you distinguish between quotes made before the war and those made after. Positions stated before the secession are a more reliable barometer of what was actually on people's minds as events were unfolding. We all know that a lot of people tried to amend their views after the war was lost.
Yes, I do ask for "contemporary quotes" in my OP. On the parallel thread, I even specified 1860 to 1865 as an approximate range. I am primarily interested in the original reasons behind secession before they became somewhat blurred by the onset of armed hostilities.

Last edited:

Potomac Pride

First Sergeant
This is the parallel thread I promised to the other list I started:

https://civilwartalk.com/threads/ma...-principal-cause-of-secession-and-war.138590/

Those who can find meaningful contemporary quotes suggesting that slavery and its future were not the principal cause of the secession of the original seven Confederate states are encouraged to post them here.

Note, I am interested only in documented historical quotes from actual secessionists and their contemporary sympathizers or opponents, not the opinions of modern pundits or historians. Thank you.

Let's see how many clear, attributable quotes folks can come up with. Be the first to provide one! Let's see if there really are two credible sides to this debate.
"Whereas, the Federal Government has failed to accomplish the purposes of the compact of union between these states in giving protection either to the persons of our people upon an exposed frontier, or to the property of our citizens...."
--- Texas Ordinance of Secession, Feb. 1861

"The people of the Southern States are not only taxed for the benefit of the Northern States, but after the taxes are collected three-fourths of them are expended in the North. This cause, with others connected with the operation of the General Government, has provincialized the cities of the South. Their growth is paralyzed, while they are the mere suburbs of Northern cities." -- The Address of South Carolina to the Slaveholding States of the United States, Dec. 1860

"In the first years of the Republic, the navigating, commercial, and manufacturing interests of the North began to seek profit and aggrandizement at the expense of the agricultural interests. ..........Not content with these great and unjust advantages, they have sought to throw the legitimate burden of their business as much as possible upon the public...."
--- Georgia Declaration of Causes of Secession, Jan. 1861

"They (the Northern States) have impoverished the slave-holding states by unequal and partial legislation, thereby enriching themselves by draining our substance." --- Texas Declaration of Causes of Secession, Feb. 1861

"Whereas, the Federal Government has failed to accomplish the purposes of the compact of union between these states in giving protection either to the persons of our people upon an exposed frontier, or to the property of our citizens...."

"The people of the Southern States are not only taxed for the benefit of the Northern States, but after the taxes are collected three-fourths of them are expended in the North. This cause, with others connected with the operation of the General Government, has provincialized the cities of the South. Their growth is paralyzed, while they are the mere suburbs of Northern cities." -- The Address of South Carolina to the Slaveholding States of the United States, Dec. 1860

"In the first years of the Republic, the navigating, commercial, and manufacturing interests of the North began to seek profit and aggrandizement at the expense of the agricultural interests. ..........Not content with these great and unjust advantages, they have sought to throw the legitimate burden of their business as much as possible upon the public...."
--- Georgia Declaration of Causes of Secession, Jan. 1861

"They (the Northern States) have impoverished the slave-holding states by unequal and partial legislation, thereby enriching themselves by draining our substance." --- Texas Declaration of Causes of Secession, Feb. 1861
Congratulations on being the first to submit some legitimate entries to the topic of this thread (37 days after the thread was created), although the reference in the first quote to "the property of our people" is an oblique reference to slaves - by the far most valuable movable "property" of the South. Now to discuss these quotes in the separate thread I created for that purpose.

Last edited:

Potomac Pride

First Sergeant
My first reference that I quoted doesn't necessarily refer to slavery. The settlers along the frontier in Texas had been bothered for years by attacking Indians and Mexican bandits. The term "property" was a general term that referred to such things as homes and livestock etc. Furthermore, slavery did not cause the Indians to attack the settlers.

My first reference that I quoted doesn't necessarily refer to slavery. The settlers along the frontier in Texas had been bothered for years by attacking Indians and Mexican bandits. The term "property" was a general term that referred to such things as homes and livestock etc. Furthermore, slavery did not cause the Indians to attack the settlers.
Please see my response on the companion discussion thread.

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
Odd, isn't it, that only snip and clipped quotes/sections of the Texas Ordinance of Secession can be presented as an "other than slavery" proposition, isn't it?

Seems like the out-of-context formula will have to be applied in order to view such through a microscope of history rather than the grand sweep theory.

civilken

1st Lieutenant
I have to ask honestly. Is this just the way to prove a point or are you expecting to find some new truths.

The contest is really for empire on the side of the North, and for independence on that of the South, and in this respect we recognize an exact analogy between the North and the Government of George III, and the South and the Thirteen Revolted Provinces. — London Times, November 7, 1861

My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union; and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union. I shall do less whenever I shall believe what I am doing hurts the cause, and I shall do more whenever I shall believe doing more will help the cause. - The Collected Works of Abraham Lincoln edited by Roy P. Basler, Volume V, "Letter to Horace Greeley" (August 22, 1862), p. 388

It is now seventy–three years since the Union between the United States was made by the Constitution of the United States. During this period their advance in wealth, prosperity, and power, has been with scarcely a parallel in the history of the world. The great object of their union was defense against external aggressions; which object is now attained, from their more progress in power. Thirty–one millions of people, with a commerce and navigation which explore every sea, and of agricultural productions which are necessary to every civilized people, command the friendship of the world. But unfortunately, our internal peace has not grown with our external prosperity. Discontent and contention has moved in the bosom of the Confederacy, for the last thirty–five years. During this time, South Carolina has twice called her people together in solemn Convention, to take into consideration, the aggressions and unconstitutional wrongs, perpetrated by the people of the North on the people of the South. These wrongs, were submitted to by the people of the South, under the hope and expectation that they would be final. But such hope and expectation, have proved to be vain. Instead of producing forbearance, our acquiescence and outrage; and South Carolina, having again assembling her people in Convention, has this day dissolved her connection with the States, constituting the United States.

The one great evil, from which all other evils have flowed, is the overthrow of the Constitution of the United States. The Government of the United States is no longer the government of Confederated Republics, but of a consolidated Democracy. It is, in face such a Government as Great Britain attempted to set over our Fathers; and which was resisted and defeated by a seven years’ struggle for independence.

----------------------------------------

The Southern States, now stand exactly in the same position towards the Northern States, that the Colonies did towards Great Britain. The Northern States, having the majority in Congress, claim the same power of omnipotence in legislation as the British parliament. “The General Welfare,” is the only limit to the legislation of either; and the majority in Congress, as in the British parliament, are the sole judges of the expediency of the legislation, this “General Welfare” requires. Thus, the Government of the United States has become a consolidated Government; and the people of the Southern State, are compelled to meet the very despotism, their fathers threw off in the Revolution of 1776. - Robert Barnwell Rhett, December 25, 1860

And so with the Southern States, towards the Northern States, in the vital matter of taxation. They are in a minority in Congress. Their representation in Congress, is useless to protect them against unjust taxation; and they are taxed by the people of the North for their benefit, exactly as the people of Great Britain taxed our ancestors in the British parliament for their benefit. For the last forty years, the taxes laid by the Congress of the United States have been laid with a view of subserving the interests of the North. The people of the South have been taxed by duties on imports, not for revenue, but for an object inconsistent with revenue–to promote, by prohibitions, Northern interests in the productions of their mines and manufactures. - Robert Barnwell Rhett, December 25, 1860

No man can for a moment believe, that our ancestors intended to establish over their posterity, exactly the same sort of Government they had overthrown. The great object of the Constitution of the United States, in its internal operation, was, doubtless, to secure the great end of the Revolution — –a limited free Government– — a Government limited to those matters only, which were general and common to all portions of the United States. All sectional or local interests were to be left to the States. By no other arrangement, would they obtain free Government, by a Constitution common to so vast a Confederacy. Yet by gradual and steady encroachments on the part of the people of the North, and acquiescence on the part of the South, the limitations in the Constitution have been swept away; and the Government of the United States has become consolidated, with a claim of limitless powers in its operations. - Robert Barnwell Rhett, December 25, 1860

The instant the Government was organized, at the very first Congress, the Northern States evinced a general desire and purpose to use it for their own benefit, and to pervert its powers for sectional advantage, and they have steadily pursued that policy to this day. They demanded a monopoly of the business of ship- building, and got a prohibition against the sale of foreign ships to citizens of the United States, which exists to this day. - Robert Toombs, November 13, 1860

I would say that slavery was not the only cause and that the North had its own reasons for conflict unrelated to slavery.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)