Massachusetts Medal miniature

Hallibag

Private
I have a miniature of the Massachusetts Medal that is different than any other I’ve seen in that, attached to the ribbon, it has the Great Seal of the U.S. attached. Can anyone tell me anything about this medal? Would it have belonged to an ACW veteran? I’ve tried researching it but have found that information about this medal is sketchy, and sometimes contradictory, so would appreciate any information that you can provide.

34931334-069B-4C37-AC65-C8B34F2E1EFE.jpeg

80710634-6867-430C-BECC-682B375C9282.jpeg

An internet search for Massachusetts Service Medal came up with the following from the Massachusetts General Laws, Part 1, Chapter 5, Chapter 33 (Militia), Section 67. Not sure when it dates to but I thought the use of the Great Seal as a military emblem post dates 1900. The last part may refer to this medal with the Great Seal attached.
"Section 67. (a) Each member, who completes 3 years of honorable service in the armed forces of the commonwealth, except the inactive national guard, shall be awarded a service medal and for each additional 3 years of like service a clasp to be affixed to the ribbon pendant thereof. All other members of the organized militia may be awarded a service medal for completion of 3 years of honorable service and for each additional 3 years of like service a device to be affixed to the ribbon pendant thereof. Members of the armed forces of the commonwealth, active, retired or honorably discharged, who have served in the armed forces of the United States in time of war and have been honorably discharged shall receive a device indicative of such service, to be affixed to the ribbon pendant of the medal herein provided."

This is the Massachusetts National Guard Nine Year Service Medal issued, I believe, about 1898. Normally, a bar, inscribed "NINE YEARS" is suspended between the ribbon and pendant. On the back of the upper, "MASSACHUSETTS" bar woud be a serial number. It was replaced by a different design during WWII.
1606438831421.png
The brass eagle pinned to the ribbon appears to be a later addition (probably unofficial).

Members of the armed forces of the commonwealth, active, retired or honorably discharged, who have served in the armed forces of the United States in time of war and have been honorably discharged shall receive a device indicative of such service, to be affixed to the ribbon pendant of the medal herein provided."
Thanks, bobinwmass. I wonder if the “device” mentioned here could be the eagle attached to the ribbon?

Back