Masons - as in the organization

NH Civil War Gal

Captain
* OFFICIAL *
CWT PRESENTER
Forum Host
Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
Something over in the Photographic Forum made me think of this question. The photo shows a grave and it is believed that a CSA Mason arranged for a Union Mason's burial during a flag of truce.

A completely unrelated show to the CW has Masons banding together above politics.

In the CW, are there any known instances of Masons, from either side, if they know about the opposing Mason, giving favor in any way? Did Masons protect their own above any political differences? Were Masons slave holders for example?

Something over in the Photographic Forum made me think of this question. The photo shows a grave and it is believed that a CSA Mason arranged for a Union Mason's burial during a flag of truce.

A completely unrelated show to the CW has Masons banding together above politics.

In the CW, are there any known instances of Masons, from either side, if they know about the opposing Mason, giving favor in any way? Did Masons protect their own above any political differences? Were Masons slave holders for example?
Interesting question,I am also interested in the answers that I hope Wil show up as I have no knowledge myself on this subject.

In the CW, are there any known instances of Masons, from either side, if they know about the opposing Mason, giving favor in any way?

It didn't involve a life-or-death decision, but after the Battle of Galveston, the captured officers of Harriet Lane approached Captain Tucker, on General Magruder's staff, and asked if a Masonic burial service could be conducted for that ship's commander, Wainwright. Magruder agreed, and a formal burial service was arranged for Wainwright and Edward Lea, the other officer from Harriet Lane killed in the fighting. The Grover family agreed to have the two officers buried in their family plot in Episcopal Cemetery. The local Masonic lodge turned out for the procession and burial, and Freemasons within the ranks of the Confederate troops were allowed to fall out from their units and march with their fellow Masons. As no clergyman was available, Major Albert Lea, an officer on Magruder's staff, performed the burial service for Wainwright and his son.

leasmall-jpg.135086.jpg

An honor guard stands at the grave of Lt. Commander Edward Lea. Lea’s stone (right) carries his dying words, “my father is here.” January 8, 2011.

Wainwright's body was later removed for reburial at the Naval Academy, but Edward Lea's grave remains at Old Episcopal Cemetery in Galveston. The Masonic burial service was reenacted here as part of the sesquicentennial commemoration of the battle in January 2013.

You may enjoy this video. It recounts a flag of truce along the Mississippi River, in which Confederate Masons held a Masonic funeral for a Union Naval Officer:

http://daythewarstopped.net

It was several days before the Confederates captured at South Mountain and Sharpsburg were moved back through Frederick. By noon on September 20, 1862, they had been marched about five miles beyond Frederick to the rail depot. At dark, a freight train arrived with empty box cars. The men were ordered aboard, the doors were locked and they headed for Baltimore. They reached there at about sunrise, but were not removed from the boxcars until about nine o’clock. As they marched through the city, thousands of people came out to look at them. Many of the ladies fell into each others’ arms and shed tears of sympathy for the poor, dirty, ragged soldiers. They had brought hundreds of packages for the men, but they were not permitted to give them to them. As the men marched along in a careless, indifferent way, the request came down the line for the men to get in fours, hold their heads up and “catch the step”. This was done at once and never did soldiers keep the step more perfectly. It seemed to do the ladies so much good and the men could hear them say, “If they are ragged, they can march.” When the men reached the city wharf, Captain Belcher of the 5th Alabama Infantry Regiment said to Captain Williams, “I am going to see if there is a good Mason in this immense crowd.” He made the sign and was recognized by a Yankee Colonel, who pushed his way through the crowd until he reached Captain Belcher. “I see you are a Mason, what can I do for you?” he asked. Captain Belcher told him that he had nothing and did not know where he was going. The Colonel told him that he belonged to General Bank’s staff, who commanded that department, and “you are on your way to Fort Delaware.” He said he would send some clothing by the next boat. The Colonel kept his promise and sent some nice blankets as well. The men left that evening on a steamer and reached Fort Delaware about noon the next day.[2] When they arrived there, the men were sent into barracks just outside the fort. The officers were taken into the fort.[3]

[1]Guarding Greensboro” by G. Ward Hubbs, page 139

[2] Greensboro Record, December 24, 1903, “Captain Jonathan Whitehead Williams – His Life and Times With the 5th Alabama, C.S.A. Company “D” Greensboro Guards”

[3] Greensboro Record, January 14, 1904, “Captain Jonathan Whitehead Williams – His Life and Times With the 5th Alabama, C.S.A. Company “D” Greensboro Guards”

Were Masons slave holders for example?
Perhaps the most famous of all Freemasons, George Washington, was a slaveholder, as were James Monroe, Andrew Jackson and James K. Polk.
Some well known Confederates were Freemasons, but I don't know if they owned slaves. These include: Edward Porter Alexander, Robert H. Anderson, Louis Armistead, Turner Ashby, William B. Bate, P. G. T. Beauregard, John Bell, Solon Borland, John C. Breckinridge, John C. Brown, Simon Bolivar Buckner, James Cantey, Nathan B. Forrest, Richard B. Garnett, John B. Gordon, Sam Houston, George W. Johnson, Albert Sidney Johnson, Joseph Kershaw, George Pickett, Albert Pike, William A. Quarles, John A. Quitman, Robert Vance, Zebulon Vance and Felix Zollicoffer.

Last edited:
Captain William Boyd mason, captured by the French during the queens war was supposed to be granted leniency by the French commander also a mason Somebody forgot to tell the Native American allies of the French because he didn't fare so well under their care.
Google the torture tree.

Captain William Boyd mason, captured by the French during the queens war was supposed to be granted leniency by the French commander also a mason Somebody forgot to tell the Native American allies of the French because he didn't fare so well under their care.
John Butler, the Tory commander of the British-Indian force that defeated the Wyoming Valley colonists in the Wyoming Massacre was a Mason. His Mohawk ally, Joseph Brant, was also a Mason.
Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna was a Mason as were Jim Bowie, David Crockett and William B. Travis.

John Butler, the Tory commander of the British-Indian force that defeated the Wyoming Valley colonists in the Wyoming Massacre was a Mason. His Mohawk ally, Joseph Brant, was also a Mason.
Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna was a Mason as were Jim Bowie, David Crockett and William B. Travis.

No quarter granted any of these men in their hour of desperate need either.

No quarter granted any of these men in their hour of desperate need either.
Thanks for your response.
Actually, there is a narrative written by one of Santa Anna's officers that claims that Crockett survived the battle and was brought before Santa Anna. While the two talked, a young officer-eager to gain favor with his General- ran Crockett through with his sword. According to the writer, Santa Anna was about to spare Crockett.
Their fraternal ties may have played a part in Houston's insistence that Santa Anna be kept alive after a similar meeting after the Battle of San Jacinto. I believe it more likely that Houston knew Santa Anna alive was more important for Texas independence than dead.

In the CW, are there any known instances of Masons, from either side, if they know about the opposing Mason, giving favor in any way? Did Masons protect their own above any political differences?
I doubt we will ever know. Certainly Freemasonry does not require its members to shirk their duty or ignore other loyalties. The cases I have read are about actions after a battle- leniency, comforting a Brother, pledging to care for a widow or fatherless child.
Interestingly, both FDR and Harry Truman were Freemasons. Yet FDR pretty much ignored Truman after the nominating convention and showed little interest in prompting a friendship.

Last edited:
One of the more famous episodes is the interaction of General Lewis Armistead and Captain Bingham at the Angle.

I know of a few episodes where a Mason was given a burial by his brothers rather than being thrown into a trench with their men. An example of this is Colonel Joseph Wasden at Gettysburg.

Ryan

One of the more famous episodes is the interaction of General Lewis Armistead and Captain Bingham at the Angle.

I know of a few episodes where a Mason was given a burial by his brothers rather than being thrown into a trench with their men. An example of this is Colonel Joseph Wasden at Gettysburg.

Ryan
What was the interaction? I have not read anything about that.

My g-grandfather was a 32nd degree Mason (if that's the highest degree) and he kept all his secrets. My mother knew nothing - other than the emblem is carved on his tombstone with the degree. Her brother was a Mason, and I loved him and knew him extremely well for 30 years, I never even knew he was a Mason until he died! He was so secretive about it. My husband told me that Benjamin Franklin said something along the lines of, "the secret about the Masons, is that there is no secret," but I haven't researched that particular saying. My husband was invited to join by his grandfather but declined. His grandmother was in Eastern Star and wouldn't tell except that secret handshakes could save you if you were in trouble in a strange city.

What was the interaction? I have not read anything about that.

My g-grandfather was a 32nd degree Mason (if that's the highest degree) and he kept all his secrets. My mother knew nothing - other than the emblem is carved on his tombstone with the degree. Her brother was a Mason, and I loved him and knew him extremely well for 30 years, I never even knew he was a Mason until he died! He was so secretive about it. My husband told me that Benjamin Franklin said something along the lines of, "the secret about the Masons, is that there is no secret," but I haven't researched that particular saying. My husband was invited to join by his grandfather but declined. His grandmother was in Eastern Star and wouldn't tell except that secret handshakes could save you if you were in trouble in a strange city.

After Armistead was wounded and the Confederates were pushed back, he was approached by Captain Henry Bingham, a fellow Mason (some stories have Armistead flashing a Masonic distress signal which drew Bingham's attention). Bingham offered Armistead comfort and Armistead gave Bingham his personal effects which he wanted to go to General Winfield S. Hancock (who was also a Mason). The scene was the inspiration for the Friend to Friend Masonic Memorial outside the National Cemetery at Gettysburg.

http://gettysburg.stonesentinels.com/other-monuments/friend-to-friend-masonic-memorial/

As for Colonel Wasden, here is the story about him. Joseph Wasden was commander of the 22nd Georgia at Gettysburg and was killed near the Emmitsburg Road on July 2nd. On the evening of July 3rd, his body was found by the 2nd Rhode Island (whose most well-known member was Elijah Hunt Rhodes). Here is how Colonel Horatio Rogers, Jr. described Wasden's burial:

Many dead lay on the Emmitsburg Road in front of us, and just opposite the right of the regiment, stretched at full length, was the lifeless form of a Confederate colonel. He was a manly figure and he was smitten down in the prime of life. It was ascertained from a Masonic certificate in his pocket that his name was Joseph Wasden...and it was determined that this deceased brother, an enemy in life, that had been stricken down far from home and loved ones, should be buried by fraternal hands, and the Blue uniforms gathered around the gray...raised the inanimate form in their arms...and reverently buried it with opposing picket shots serving as minute guns.

Ryan

Here's a brief anecdote shared by a soldier of the 33rd Illinois Volunteer Infantry recounting an escape (possibly his own, if the initials H.L. are actually those of the soldier in the episode) credited to Masonic fellowship:

1547414500173.png

The account is from "History of the Thirty-Third Indiana Volunteer Infantry During the Four Years of Civil War From Sept. 16, 1861, to July 21, 1865 And Incidentally Of Col. John Coburn’s Second Brigade Third Division, Twentieth Army Corps Including Incidents Of The Great Rebellion," by John R. McBride, published in 1900.

There are a lot of documented cases of mason helping mason after a battle. There is a saying they use that a non mason would not think anything about but has meaning to them. I have read that that was used a lot as well. There is no masonic rule that you must do business or be friends with another mason but there is giving aid when called upon. They took that very serious. They were a Band of Brothers.

T.J. Stiles mentioned Masons in Lawrence,Kansas using secret hand signals to Masons who were in the ad hoc Confederate guerrilla group that attacked and carried out the Lawrence Massacre to prevent themselves from getting slaughtered.
Leftyhunter

"I know exactly to whom I may attribute my escape, His name is Hiram."

"It was an April morning three days after General Robert E. Lee had surrendered to General U.S. Grant. The Southern troops, led by General John B. Gordon, a Mason, were marching in columns towards the Northern troops who were standing in formation waiting for the Southerners to stack arms and fold their flags. Suddenly a shifting of arms is heard. Gordon looked up with alarm. There was nothing to fear. General Joshua Chamberlain had ordered his troops to assume the position of "honor answering honor." Immediately, the Confederate troops snapped to attention and returned the honor. It was the first act to heal the wounds of a nation that had spent four years and 618,000 lives in civil war. That command of "honor answering honor" was ordered by a Mason. Major General Joshua Chamberlain was a member of United Lodge #8, Brunswick, Maine. After the war, he became Governor of Maine from 1866-1871 and President of Bowdoin College from 1871-83."

"An example from a unit which also belongs to our famed Iron Brigade of which we belong. Colonel Henry A. Morrow command taken along as a prisoner. He also figured that he would get better care in the North. The surgeon probably saved his life due to the hardships of prison life."

These incidents cited above are from Masons During the Civil War by John Howey*
Regards
David
Past Master O.D. Smith Lodge #33
Oxford, MS
*http://www.angelfire.com/me/reenact/masons.html

Back