Maryland man may have found two lost photos of Lincoln’s funeral procession

rickvox79

First Sergeant
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...5f5fa6-ade6-11e3-96dc-d6ea14c099f9_story.html

Here are the pictures below:

Lincoln_0021395244270.jpg

That's fascinating. It will be 150 years next year. I never understood what really happened to Lincoln after he died until I read Bloody Crimes by Swanson. There was a lot going on besides the funeral procession, and that in itself was a complex story. I always figured there must be more pictures of it than we've seen.

Wow!! That certainly looks like Grace Church. Note that Grace Church is on the East side of Broadway, so that the procession would be moving downtown towards City Hall.

When my father was admitted to the Bar in 1948 or 1949, CC Burlingham, who had sponsored his admission, took him to lunch and recalled having witnessed Lincoln's funeral procession in NY. CC could still remember the different brigades that marched, including how they were dressed and the like. He was close to 100 at the time.

Wow!! That certainly looks like Grace Church. Note that Grace Church is on the East side of Broadway, so that the procession would be moving downtown towards City Hall.

Bingo. It's at 9th Street, I think, about a quarter mile south of the Roosevelt home where Teddy was photographed watching the procession as a child, maybe six minutes before this photograph was taken.

Bingo. It's at 9th Street, I think, about a quarter mile south of the Roosevelt home where Teddy was photographed watching the procession as a child, maybe six minutes before this photograph was taken.

Didn't know that about Teddy Roosevelt. Is this it?

Expired Image Removed

I identified this CDV of Grace Church a few months ago as possibly being taken on the same day as the above photos, thus maybe showing the aftermath or else time before of Lincoln's funeral procession:

cdv grace church.jpg

Source.

Back