Limited Maryland lawmakers demand removal of Lee statue

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

Georgia Sixth

Sergeant Major
Like the 16th century Protestants demolishing statuary in cathedrals. Like Maoists purging their country of anything pre-communism. Like the Taliban destroying Buddist landmarks. Ideological purity is an ugly thing to watch.

thomas aagaard

1st Lieutenant
Like the 16th century Protestants demolishing statuary in cathedrals. Like Maoists purging their country of anything pre-communism. Like the Taliban destroying Buddist landmarks. Ideological purity is an ugly thing to watch.
The statue is from 2003... build by a rich guy. He first overbid the park service to buy the land. Then build a monument with a good deal of false claimed written on it... then sold the land to the park service.

It was raised for modern political reasons and It have nothing to do with history or honoring the men who fought.
It even stand at a place that was behind union lines...

Now, if it it was a 100 year+ old monument, in a place that made any sort of sense in regard to the battle... then we can talk about a historical monument worthy of protection.

IIRC that statue is on private property. Good luck.
Not any longer.
The land is now part of the park.

Last edited:

ebg12

Corporal
IS this the future image of Lee in History?
Here is a quote from the article as for the reason to remove the statue:

"The statement from Brown's office said the statue is historically inaccurate, in part, because the monument claims Lee was "personally against secession and slavery."
"Yet Lee was a brutal slave owner," the statement said. "(Lee) fought for the Confederacy comprised of states that each explicitly mentioned slavery as the justification for secession; and, the army he led kidnapped free blacks and massacred surrendering black Union soldiers."

ebg12

Corporal
Good luck
how quickly things change...typewriters are gone from the offices
malls are closing down
banking is done more and more by card and internet
eventually, soon, confederate monuments will also go.

thomas aagaard

1st Lieutenant
IS this the future image of Lee in History?
Here is a quote from the article as for the reason to remove the statue:

"The statement from Brown's office said the statue is historically inaccurate, in part, because the monument claims Lee was "personally against secession and slavery."
"Yet Lee was a brutal slave owner," the statement said. "(Lee) fought for the Confederacy comprised of states that each explicitly mentioned slavery as the justification for secession; and, the army he led kidnapped free blacks and massacred surrendering black Union soldiers."
All of it factual correct.

The article also mention that the statue claim that Lee was for the rights of everyone self determination.
An obvious attempt at whitewashing history.

Lee was in no way supporting the rights of colored people to have self determination.

RobertP

Major
The statue is from 2003... build by a rich guy. He first overbid the park service to buy the land. Then build a monument with a good deal of false claimed written on it... then sold the land to the park service.

It was raised for modern political reasons and It have nothing to do with history or honoring the men who fought.
It even stand at a place that was behind union lines...

Now, if it it was a 100 year+ old monument, in a place that made any sort of sense in regard to the battle... then we can talk about a historical monument worthy of protection.

Not any longer.
The land is now part of the park.
You are correct. But I’ll bet the sale to the Feds came with the caveat of the statue remaining.

This blogger, who has no problem telling you he’s an expert on everything Civil War, says that the resolution may pass the House but has no chance in the Senate. I’m just real glad he didn’t attach more of his pics. :bounce:

https://studycivilwar.wordpress.com/2019/04/20/new-congressional-resolution-introduced-to-remove-lee-statue-from-antietam/amp/

Last edited:

RobertP

Major
All of it factual correct.

The article also mention that the statue claim that Lee was for the rights of everyone self determination.
An obvious attempt at whitewashing history.

Lee was in no way supporting the rights of colored people to have self determination.
Do you guys still do that Zwarte Piet deal in Denmark?

uaskme

Sergeant Major
how quickly things change...typewriters are gone from the offices
malls are closing down
banking is done more and more by card and internet
eventually, soon, confederate monuments will also go.
More people are staying home, so less people will be offended!

thomas aagaard

1st Lieutenant
Do you guys still do that Zwarte Piet deal in Denmark?
1. I have no idea what you are on about?
When I google it, I get something about a dutch tradition... You know Dutch as in the people living The Netherlands...

2. Even if it had anything to do with Denmark, and it do not, It is completely irrelevant to the hoghwash claim that Lee was fighting for the rights of everyone to self determination.

Paul Yancey

Private
I just had a great idea. It is obvious to me that ebg12 likes to stir up trouble and doesn't really want to discuss anything actually pertaining to the Civil War. Best thing is to ignore him and move on to something more productive. Too many other great threads on this forum where you can actually learn something about history and the Civil War. Anyone agree?

Rank and File

Corporal
I just had a great idea. It is obvious to me that ebg12 likes to stir up trouble and doesn't really want to discuss anything actually pertaining to the Civil War. Best thing is to ignore him and move on to something more productive. Too many other great threads on this forum where you can actually learn something about history and the Civil War. Anyone agree?
Excellent idea

RobertP

Major
1. I have no idea what you are on about?
When I google it, I get something about a dutch tradition... You know Dutch as in the people living The Netherlands...

2. Even if it had anything to do with Denmark, and it do not, It is completely irrelevant to the hoghwash claim that Lee was fighting for the rights of everyone to self determination.
My bad. It’s the Netherlands with that tradition. I get those countries confused sometimes. It happens.

As for Lee, he was fighting just as much for his new countrymen’s right to self-determination as was George Washington 80 years prior. That’s pretty clear.

ebg12

Corporal
that's a great idea! I can just express all my thoughts without rebuttal! thanks

Ole Miss

2nd Lieutenant
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Are you advocating that all Confederate symbols be removed, even those from National Parks established on battlefields such as Antietam? If this is your goal what will be the story of the “cleansed” version of the Civil War? The Union defeated the Unknowns?

I bear you no ill will but must tell you that I believe you cannot shape history to suit your preferences, besides we will lose our national identity if we attempt to massage history and make it change.
Regards
David