NF Maryland Invasion

Non-Fiction

Chattahooch33

Sergeant Major
Annual Winner
I’m working on reading completely through the Eastern Theater. I just finished a book on Chantilly, and wanted something to bridge the gap between then and Antietam. I have one on the South Mountain battles, but is there one on the actual movements out of Virginia and into Maryland? Maybe a good one on the fight at Harper’s Ferry?

The only one I can think of is the very old (ca. 1950's) From Cedar Mountain to Antietam by Lt. Gen. Edward Stackpole which includes the entire campaign, but I imagine you were thinking of something more detailed and recent.

Stonewall Books 011.jpg

Thanks for sharing this interesting question! I’m stuck also what to read next? Finished reading about Vicksburg. Brought this book last month, “Reconstruction A Concise History” by Allen C. Guelzo but can’t get interested in it. Two many other things going on.

I’m working on reading completely through the Eastern Theater. I just finished a book on Chantilly, and wanted something to bridge the gap between then and Antietam. I have one on the South Mountain battles, but is there one on the actual movements out of Virginia and into Maryland? Maybe a good one on the fight at Harper’s Ferry?
For an excellent analysis of that period on the strategic level, I'd recommend Taken at the Flood by Joseph Harsh.

I heartily agree with Belfoured's recommendation of Taken at the Flood. You might also take a look at another book by Harsh titled Confederate Tide Rising. It's been a while since I read it and as I recall the timeline covered is longer, but it's a very good overview of how Lee's strategy evolved.

I heartily agree with Belfoured's recommendation of Taken at the Flood. You might also take a look at another book by Harsh titled Confederate Tide Rising. It's been a while since I read it and as I recall the timeline covered is longer, but it's a very good overview of how Lee's strategy evolved.
Both are in my opinion essential reading for that period. It's too bad that Harsh never completed his intended (I believe) look at the Federal side of the story, although some of that "bleeds through" in his analysis of Lee and Confederate strategy.

I am currently reading "Taken at the Flood" and loving it thus far. If you are interested in the Maryland Campaign in detail up to before the Battle of Antietam then I would absolutely recommend Scott Hartwig's "To Antietam Creek." It covers the campaign right up to the night before Antietam.

I am currently reading "Taken at the Flood" and loving it thus far. If you are interested in the Maryland Campaign in detail up to before the Battle of Antietam then I would absolutely recommend Scott Hartwig's "To Antietam Creek." It covers the campaign right up to the night before Antietam.
Another old classic I recommend mainly for the itself is James Murfin's The Gleam of Bayonets.

Stonewall Books 013.jpg

Back