Mary Todd Lincoln, Glass Negative

I recently purchased an oddity. I acquired a glass negative of Mary Todd Lincoln. (Photos included).

I took a photo of the negative and created a positive, also included.

What I'm trying to find out is....

Is this an original or more than likely, a copy. It is cdv size roughly. I just don't know enough about photography from this time period to make an educated evaluation.

On a side note.... I did some research and found similar poses, (on the web), but I was unable to find this pose anywhere.

Any help or info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all.

IMG_3171.JPG

IMG_3171 - Copy.JPG

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

ErnieMac

Brigadier General
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Thank you, learned something today.
You're welcome! Here is one example of a surviving glass Brady negative, a copy negative of a single CDV or maybe a larger format photo. They could then put this single negative out in the sun and make three times as many prints at once than they could with just the original negative.

s_officers_at_camp_of_instructions_-_NARA_-_529831.jpg

I recently purchased an oddity. I acquired a glass negative of Mary Todd Lincoln. (Photos included).

I took a photo of the negative and created a positive, also included.

What I'm trying to find out is....

Is this an original or more than likely, a copy. It is cdv size roughly. I just don't know enough about photography from this time period to make an educated evaluation.

On a side note.... I did some research and found similar poses, (on the web), but I was unable to find this pose anywhere.

Any help or info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all.

View attachment 307512

View attachment 307513
This is a Brady photograph of Mrs. Lincoln in her inaugural gown (Gilder Lehrman Collection)

glc09192.png