Mary Florence Maffitt Wright, daughter of Confederate Naval Captain John Newland Maffitt.

Daughter, wife, sister- always leaves me wondering who they thought of themselves as? Mother?

A memorial, like a grave without a headstone, a little forlorn all by itself. Mary Florence, who was your mother, your siblings, what was your voice? We'll find you, no worries.

What a lovely looking daughter. However, I couldn't find anything on her.

Did find out John Newland Maffitt was married at least two times. His first wife was Caroline Laurens Maffitt. She died on March 3, 1859 and is buried in Oak Hill Cemetery in Washington D.C.

It seems John and Caroline had 3 children, Eugene Anderson Maffitt (1844-1886), John Laurens Maffitt (1853-1899), and Colden Rhind Maffitt (1858-1873).

He married Emma Martin in 1867. According to John's memorial on Find A Grave they had two children, Mary Read Maffitt Borden (1871-1952) and Clarence Dudley Maffitt (1873-1958).

I found no mention of this daughter. Mary Florence.. Just wondered where you got picture and if any more on her from picture.

After researching more, I did find Mary Florence. She is listed as Florence "Florie" Maffitt Wright on Find A Grave.

She was daughter of John and Caroline Laurens Maffitt and was born in 1847 in Alabama. She married Joshua Grainger Wright III on Oct. 18, 1865 at St. John's Church in Fayetteville. They had several children. She died in 1883 in Wilmington, N.C.

Back