Mary Ann Bickerdyke

jessgettysburg1863

2nd Lieutenant
Mary Ann Bickerdyke (July 19, 1817 – November 8, 1901), also known as Mother Bickerdyke, was a hospital administrator for Union soldiers during the American Civil War.
She was born in Knox County, Ohio, to Hiram Ball and Annie Rodgers Ball. She later moved to Galesburg, Illinois.
After the outbreak of the Civil War, she joined a field hospital at Fort Donelson, working alongside Mary J. Stafford. Bickerdyke also worked closely with Eliza Emily Chappell Porter of the Northwest Sanitary Commission. She later worked on the first hospital boat. During the war, she became chief of nursing under the command of General Ulysses S. Grant, and served at the Battle of Vicksburg. When his staff complained about the outspoken, insubordinate female nurse who consistently disregarded the army's red tape and military procedures, Union Gen. William T. Sherman threw up his hands and exclaimed, "She ranks me. I can't do a thing in the world."[1] Bickerdyke was a nurse who ran roughshod over anyone who stood in the way of her self-appointed duties. She was known affectionately to her "boys", the grateful enlisted men, as "Mother" Bickerdyke. When a surgeon questioned her authority to take some action, she replied, "On the authority of Lord God Almighty, have you anything that outranks that?"[2]
Mother Bickerdyke became the best known, most colorful, and probably most resourceful Civil War nurse. Widowed two years before the war began, she supported herself and her two half-grown sons by practicing as a "botanic Physician" in Galesburg, Illinois. When a young Union volunteer physician wrote home about the filthy, chaotic military hospitals at Cairo, Illinois, Galesburg's citizens collected $500 worth of supplies and selected Bickerdyke to deliver them (no one else would go).
She stayed in Cairo as an unofficial nurse, and through her unbridled energy and dedication she organized the hospitals and gained Grant's appreciation. Grant sanctioned her efforts, and when his army moved down the Mississippi, Bickerdyke went too, setting up hospitals where they were needed. Sherman was especially fond of this volunteer nurse who followed the western armies, and supposedly she was the only woman he would allow in his camp. By the end of the war, with the help of the U.S. Sanitary Commission, Mother Bickerdyke had built 300 hospitals and aided the wounded on 19 battlefields including the Battle of Shiloh and Sherman's March to the Sea.
"Mother" Bickerdyke was so loved by the army that the soldiers would cheer her as they would a general when she appeared. At Sherman's request, she rode at the head of the XV Corps in the Grand Review in Washington at the end of the war.
After the war ended, she worked for the Salvation Army in San Francisco, and became an attorney, helping Union veterans with legal issues. She ran a hotel in Salina, Kansas for a time. She received a special pension of $25 a month from Congress in 1886, and retired to Bunker Hill, Kansas. She died peacefully after a minor stroke.
A statue of her was erected in Galesburg, and a hospital boat and a liberty ship, the Mary Bickerdyke,[3] were named after her

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Ann_Bickerdyke
http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/USACWbickerdyke.htm

ichi09518.jpg

bickerdyke.gif

Mary_Ann_Bickerdyke.jpg

I know more about Mount Vernon, Ohio than I ever thought I would.

My father, his wife and their kids moved to Mount Vernon while I was living in SE Ohio (my wife is from Zanesville) before moving back to Maryland. They wanted to send the kids to a Sevent-Day Adventist school there. My father passed away in Mount Vernon in 2009.

The town has actually done a lot to remember the ACW. When you enter the town, there is a state historical marker about Dan Decatur Emmett, author of the song "Dixie," being orn there. There is a parade rest soldier monument in the town square. Also in the square is another state plaque to Mary Ann Bickerdyke, also from Mount Vernon.

BTW, 1960s/1970s actor-comedian Paul Lynde was from Mount Vernon, too.

Photo40170.jpg
47b4be81-cefa-4d92-ae21-8681400abcc9.jpg
Photo40154.jpg

Mary Ann Bickerdyke (July 19, 1817 – November 8, 1901), also known as Mother Bickerdyke, was a hospital administrator for Union soldiers during the American Civil War.
She was born in Knox County, Ohio, to Hiram Ball and Annie Rodgers Ball. She later moved to Galesburg, Illinois.
After the outbreak of the Civil War, she joined a field hospital at Fort Donelson, working alongside Mary J. Stafford. Bickerdyke also worked closely with Eliza Emily Chappell Porter of the Northwest Sanitary Commission. She later worked on the first hospital boat. During the war, she became chief of nursing under the command of General Ulysses S. Grant, and served at the Battle of Vicksburg. When his staff complained about the outspoken, insubordinate female nurse who consistently disregarded the army's red tape and military procedures, Union Gen. William T. Sherman threw up his hands and exclaimed, "She ranks me. I can't do a thing in the world."[1] Bickerdyke was a nurse who ran roughshod over anyone who stood in the way of her self-appointed duties. She was known affectionately to her "boys", the grateful enlisted men, as "Mother" Bickerdyke. When a surgeon questioned her authority to take some action, she replied, "On the authority of Lord God Almighty, have you anything that outranks that?"[2]
Mother Bickerdyke became the best known, most colorful, and probably most resourceful Civil War nurse. Widowed two years before the war began, she supported herself and her two half-grown sons by practicing as a "botanic Physician" in Galesburg, Illinois. When a young Union volunteer physician wrote home about the filthy, chaotic military hospitals at Cairo, Illinois, Galesburg's citizens collected $500 worth of supplies and selected Bickerdyke to deliver them (no one else would go).
She stayed in Cairo as an unofficial nurse, and through her unbridled energy and dedication she organized the hospitals and gained Grant's appreciation. Grant sanctioned her efforts, and when his army moved down the Mississippi, Bickerdyke went too, setting up hospitals where they were needed. Sherman was especially fond of this volunteer nurse who followed the western armies, and supposedly she was the only woman he would allow in his camp. By the end of the war, with the help of the U.S. Sanitary Commission, Mother Bickerdyke had built 300 hospitals and aided the wounded on 19 battlefields including the Battle of Shiloh and Sherman's March to the Sea.
"Mother" Bickerdyke was so loved by the army that the soldiers would cheer her as they would a general when she appeared. At Sherman's request, she rode at the head of the XV Corps in the Grand Review in Washington at the end of the war.
After the war ended, she worked for the Salvation Army in San Francisco, and became an attorney, helping Union veterans with legal issues. She ran a hotel in Salina, Kansas for a time. She received a special pension of $25 a month from Congress in 1886, and retired to Bunker Hill, Kansas. She died peacefully after a minor stroke.
A statue of her was erected in Galesburg, and a hospital boat and a liberty ship, the Mary Bickerdyke,[3] were named after her

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Ann_Bickerdyke
http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/USACWbickerdyke.htm

View attachment 6049
View attachment 6051
View attachment 6052
She gave those guys hell!! She took no B. S from anyone. I love her

I know more about Mount Vernon, Ohio than I ever thought I would.

My father, his wife and their kids moved to Mount Vernon while I was living in SE Ohio (my wife is from Zanesville) before moving back to Maryland. They wanted to send the kids to a Sevent-Day Adventist school there. My father passed away in Mount Vernon in 2009.

The town has actually done a lot to remember the ACW. When you enter the town, there is a state historical marker about Dan Decatur Emmett, author of the song "Dixie," being orn there. There is a parade rest soldier monument in the town square. Also in the square is another state plaque to Mary Ann Bickerdyke, also from Mount Vernon.

BTW, 1960s/1970s actor-comedian Paul Lynde was from Mount Vernon, too.

View attachment 6056View attachment 6057View attachment 6058

Terrific photo's, many thanks for posting.................Jess :D:smile::thumbsup: .

Back