Martha Washington's Chicken

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
This is recreated recipe for Martha Washington's chicken. As been written before, Martha Washington was a very good cook and wrote down many of her recipes. She did have slaves who helped but she knew her way around a kitchen.

Martha Washington's Chicken

2 lbs Heritage chicken
1 cup green peas
1 cup carrots, diced
1 cup onion, diced
1 cup celery, diced
1 cup potatoes, diced
2 cups heavy cream
4 tablespoons of butter
flour for rue
2 pie crusts
salt and pepper to taste
tarragon to taste

Clean chicken, de-bone and dice. Saute in pan with 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat until tender. Add onions, carrots and celery until onion is translucent. Dust pan with flour and add more butter to form a rue. Add, cream, peas and potatoes. Add salt, pepper and tarragon to taste.

Lightly grease ramekins or pie pan and add repared dough. Add filling and top with more crust. Brush with butter and bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes until crust is golden.

Note:
I am adding some older recipes as they were still prepared into 19th century. They are now being enjoyed today. They are part of America's cooking heritage. Hope many of you will try them and enjoy them.

Thought I better define ramekin. A ramekin or ramequin is a small glazed ceramic or glass serving bowl used for the preparation and serving of various food dishes. It is usually circular. They are designed to withstand high tempertures as they are used in ovens or in the case of creme brulee, exposed to the flare of a cooking torch.

I believe you have same one I have. Receipts mean recipes. I bumped my thread on the book. The full title of book is "Confederate Receipt Book - a compilation over one hundred Receipts Adapted to the Time".
Ok. You very well could be correct. I'll dig it up and post a picture here for you to see. Thanks.

Back