Marmalade- Why Toast Was Born

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
marm6 loc buford.JPG
The elusive Marma in nature. During hunting season, thousands are harvested, butchered and become what we know today as Marmalade. Or this could be an unexplained print found in LoC and perfectly charming.

Ok, so I spend far too much time browsing era periodicals. Show me one published today as wonderfully written, illustrated and well, free as Godey's Lady's Book, Demorest's Monthly, Frank Leslie's Illustrated News or Harper's anything and I'll sign up.

marmalade small.jpg
From Prince Edward Island, Canada, Mary Agnes Stuart McClellan's marmalade

Besides, tough to find receipts for marmalade in Cosmopolitan. We grew up eating Pepperidge Farm toast from Spode, Blue Tower breakfast plates, slathered in butter and swimming in orange rind. Scots great grandmother's breakfast nook. She made hers, recipe from PEI, Canada, Scots family - reproduced here as her sister Mary Agnes remembered. Godey's Lady's Book remembers more.

marm1.JPG
marm2.JPG marm3.JPG marm4.JPG
From Godey's, 1862

marm5 frm loc buford.JPG

Great thread, thanks @JPK Huson 1863

Here's a fun marmalade recipe from The National Cookbook c. 1850. I'm considering giving it a try if I find any good peaches this weekend. I'll have to adapt it I think given the sheer amount of sugar they suggest, plus they don't actually suggest an amount of peaches either.

View attachment 143114
I read a pound a fruit to a pound of sugar. a 1 to 1 ratio

Back