Margarethe Meyer Schurz (wife of Carl Schurz) Started America's First Kindergarten WOMEN'S HISTORY MONTH

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Featured Book Reviewer
schurz m.JPG

Many of you have heard of immigrant Major General Carl Schurz, but nearly all of you benfited from an institution his wife brought to America: The Kindergarten. Margarethe Meyer Schurz was a young woman in 1833 toa family that encouraged the education of women. She and her sister were attracted to the radical idea of early childhood education through play-oriented learning pioneered in Germany under the name "Kindergarten." As with many Liberal families, the Meyers were forced to leave Germany after the failure of the 1848 Revolution and they found safety as refugees in London. Margarethe joined her sister's Kindergarten in London in 1851. In England, she met another German refugee, Carl Schurz, and the two came to America as immigrants.

In 1856, Margarethe opened America's first Kindergarten in Watertown, Wisconsin. As was common in the 19th Century, teaching for the students was conducted in German since all of the students' parents were immigrants.

While Margarethe did not invent the Kindergarten, she helped to make what had been a German phenomenon into an international one.

Another interesting “kindergartner” is Elizabeth Jennings Graham, aka the Rosa Parks of the 1850’s. She founded and operated New York City’s first kindergarten for black children in her home. Interesting that it took quite a while for kindergarten to become incorporated into the schools. And of course "kindergarten" - from German - children/garden - love the image it portrays.

Another interesting “kindergartner” is Elizabeth Jennings Graham, aka the Rosa Parks of the 1850’s. She founded and operated New York City’s first kindergarten for black children in her home. Interesting that it took quite a while for kindergarten to become incorporated into the schools.
She would be a good subject for a thread.

She would be a good subject for a thread.

I had post researched and ready, for when I read her story I was amazed at this woman's courage. However, I did find a couple of threads about her here, (but I don't regret finding out until after I did my research). I love reading about women in this time period that weren't afraid to step out of what was expected of them and do the unexpected.

I had post researched and readfor when I read her story I was amazed at this woman's courage. However, I did find a couple of threads about her here, (but I don't regret finding out until after I did my research). I love reading about women in this time period that weren't afraid to step out of what was expected of them and do the unexpected.
If you have new information post make your post anyway, with links to the older ones, as some haven't seen them. Pretty please?:wub::wub:

I remember she was an answer to a trivia question and when researching I discovered that Margarethe started the kindergarten in her home and was so successful, that the "noise" level bothered her husband and that is when she moved it out of their home. It made me smile as I imagine how her husband approached his wife with that request.

Another interesting “kindergartner” is Elizabeth Jennings Graham, aka the Rosa Parks of the 1850’s. She founded and operated New York City’s first kindergarten for black children in her home. Interesting that it took quite a while for kindergarten to become incorporated into the schools. And of course "kindergarten" - from German - children/garden - love the image it portrays.
Yesterday it was announced that a statue of her will be erected near Grand Central Terminal in Manhattan.

Back