Mardi Gras In The Mid-19th Century

1-17-700x558.jpg

(Public Domain)

Mardi Gras is right around the corner, and before you know it, folks will be lining up to view the parades and filling up on King Cake. These are a few vintage photos of Mardi Gras in the Mid-19th century. It struck me how no matter how much time has passed, some things just never change. In the above photo, Canal Street is packed with parade watchers in 1895.

This is another picture of the parade heading down Canal Street. I love the horse-drawn floats!

2-21-700x532.jpg

This is the Krewe of Comus' invitation in 1899.

3-1-700x479.jpg

This is a picture of The Rex parade marching down Camp Street.

4-158-700x500.jpg

You can't share a thread on Mardi Gras without at least one picture of a Mardi Gras King and Queen. The picture below is of The King and Queen of Rex posing with their pages.

9-112-700x582.jpg

@Southern Unionist and I fell in love with New Orleans on our first trip there right after Hurricane Katrina. Of course it didn’t hurt that my favorite general, James Longstreet, happened to have made his home there for several years after the Civil War. There’s much to love about the place and plenty to disdain, but one thing’s for sure – that city knows how to throw a party.

Here is a thread I did on Joe Cain and Mardi Gras in Mobile. Laissez les bons temps rouler

Last edited:
I've only been to New Orleans once back in July 2000 for two nights during a road trek across the southern US. We stayed in a hotel across the street from the Louis Armstrong Memorial Park. Went to see some really good jazz music at Preservation Hall.

Back