NF March by Geraldine Brooks

Non-Fiction

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
For those of you who have read Little Women. I recommend this book. The author has taken Mr. March, the father from Little Women and made a very moving story of his time in the Civil War. Mr. March is an Army Chaplain. In this book he is shown as a very conflicted and complicated man.. He struggles to reconcile duty to his fellow man with duty to his family.

Ms. Brooks paints a picture of a war-ravaged South, that is very haunting. This is a great story about how war dashes ideas, unhinges moral certainties and drives a wedge of bitter experience and unspeakable memories.

This book was recommended by our library. They are having a series on the Civil War and this one of books recommended to g along with the series.

Since I read this book, thought wise to re-read Little Women by Louisa May Alcott. It was always a favorite book of mine in my youth. Enjoyed it again.

Read "March" this summer. Recommend it. Agree about "Hospital Sketches" as well. For LM Alcott at her most cutting about her idealistic father, I suggest "Transcendental Wild Oats."

Back