Forrest March 25, 1864: Forrest’s raid on Paducah

Barrycdog

Major
http://gathkinsons.net/sesqui/?p=6349

8467006391_2b2076c79c.jpg

While the battle was raging, parties of the enemy scouted through the city, plundering stores and robbing stables. A large amount of goods was carried away and many horses stolen; none of the latter belonging to the Government were taken, as the rebels were told they were the property of a prominent secessionist. The fight lasted all the afternoon, and resulted in a Federal loss of as stated below, and about 30 prisoners. These were convalescents, and were taken from the hospital; the names of some of them are as follows: Thos. S. Wakefield, Corporal, Co. K. 25th Wisconsin Infantry; Geo. W. Babb, Co. A, 13th Tennessee Cavalry; Thos. Daniels, Co. C, 16th Kentucky Cavalry; Hiram Smith, Sergeant, Co. B, 16th Kentucky Cavalry; Z. Booth, Sergeant, Co. B, 16th Kentucky Cavalry; John Mullin, Co. E, 13th Illinois Infantry; G.T. Sharp, Corporal, Co. K, 63d Ohio; John S. Howard, Corporal, Co. K, 127th Illinois; Samuel Loder, Co. I, 31st Iowa Infantry; John Morehead, Co. E, 9th Illinois Infantry; Hanson Hart, Acting Assistant Surgeon; Simon A. Murphy, citizen; John Jordan, Co. K, 122d Illinois; M.R. Waller, Co. C, 16th Kentucky; J.A. Sadford, Co. B, 16th Kentucky Cavalry; R.J. Martz, 1st Ohio Battery; G.W. Farley, Co. D, 16th Kentucky Cavalry; Isaac Austin, Co. G, 25th Wisconsin; W.J. Bridges, Co. F, 122d Illinois; P. Byerly, Co. I, 20th Missouri; Thos. Pollard, Co. A, 127th Illinois; James Park, Co. E, 7th Tennessee Cavalry; W. Waldeman, Co. F, 31st Iowa; Henry Nabors, Co. E, 7th TennesseeCavalry; A. Irwin, S. Hamilton and Robert Barnes.

Wow. A Babb! Now I'm going to have to do some research. There are some very interesting Babbs who ended up in Texas, and some of them were wild and wooly. I'll have to see if they were related in any way.

Barrycdog, I don't know how I missed this, but thanks! It should be helpful to genealogists as well as us Forrestites. :smile:

Wow. A Babb! Now I'm going to have to do some research. There are some very interesting Babbs who ended up in Texas, and some of them were wild and wooly. I'll have to see if they were related in any way.

This is in reference to the name:
Geo. W. Babb, Co. A, 13th Tennessee Cavalry
Babb.jpg

In my research of the Battle of Fort Pillow, April 12, 1864, and Bradford's (13th) Tennessee Cavalry, I came across this list of these convalescents who were captured at Paducah. Since the Battle of Paducah was part of Forrest's West Tennessee Raid with the Battle of Fort Pillow, I wasn't sure if I should include him as a Fort Pillow Prisoner or not. Major Bradford began raising his regiment in Kentucky and was stationed at Paducah and later at Union City before moving into Fort Pillow. So it makes sense that some of the 13 Tennessee would be at the hospital there in Paducah.

The same is true for the soldiers of the 7 Tennessee Cavalry. This regiment surrendered at Union City a few days prior to Paducah and it ranked about fourth in terms of total deaths at Andersonville by a regiment.
Henry Nabors, Co. E, 7th Tennessee Cavalry
James Park, Co. E, 7th Tennessee Cavalry

Welcome to CivilWarTalk.
That's very unfortunate about your GG Grandfather.
Do you have any other details about his capture at Paducah?
this is first mention i've seen of his capture. and i wasn't sure this james park (there were lots of them) was related until i saw the 1890 census of union civil war veterans a few years ago. his widow, emily worrell park, lived until 1922. she not only lost her husband at andersonville, but also what appears to be two of her brothers.

the entire nyt article is here:

http://www.nytimes.com/1864/04/01/n...city-the-repulse-at-paducah.html?pagewanted=1

this is first mention i've seen of his capture. and i wasn't sure this james park (there were lots of them) was related until i saw the 1890 census of union civil war veterans a few years ago. his widow, emily worrell park, lived until 1922. she not only lost her husband at andersonville, but also what appears to be two of her brothers.

the entire nyt article is here:

http://www.nytimes.com/1864/04/01/n...city-the-repulse-at-paducah.html?pagewanted=1
I enjoyed that, thanks for the link.

Yes---a good article.
Quoting from it:
By three o'clock the whole company, which had been joined by SPARRESTROM's battery of the Second Illinois Artillery, was aboard the train en route to Union City.

I mentioned Sparrestrom's artillery in one of my previous posts about the 23 Indiana(? or one of those regiments) who found on a map sketch of Collierville. Interesting to see this unit was back up North as I thought they had moved South or maybe out to Atlanta.

However, I don't understand his casualty statistics.

"The rebels had 300 killed and about 1,000 wounded. "
I thought this statement meant this was the Reb's estimate of Union casualties.
Here is other quotes about the battle:

"that FORREST had made his appearance at Paducah at 2 P.M. with 2,000 men, "
They attacked with 2000 and had 1300 killed and wounded? That's not right.

"These, with the 400 taken a day or two before at Union City, . . ."

"The number of white Federals killed is 14; wounded, 46. Eleven negroes were killed and wounded, all shot in the head."

I will have to compare with my other sources.

Last edited:
Back