March 23, 1868 Pres. Johnson Answers the Articles of Impeachment Reconstruction150

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Featured Book Reviewer
In a separate analysis in the March 24 NYT, the paper found the president's reply to be well-argued:

mar23R.JPG

I won't post the whole article, but it is clear that this will not be a cake-walk for the Republicans.

The country is about two months from the Republican convention.
What is the status of the 14th amendment by this time? Ratification is still pending.
The national debt and interest payment questions hang heavy over the country.
The Republicans and the national banks are still very concerned about keeping the Reconstruction effort going and preventing that debt from being repudiated or paid with $1B worth of paper money.
What else is going on? Grant wants the temporary settlement with the Lakota to hold.
I think this impeachment drama is designed to control Johnson, keep Chase from the Democratic nomination and intimidate Seward, with whom the Republicans are not pleased.
Keeping the nation immobile for awhile was not a bad strategy.
The risk is that instead of encouraging General Grant to accept the nomination, he just begins to withdraw from politics and draw his salary. Whether the Republicans can win the election without Grant is doubtful.
What is happening with immigration by 1868, which would be another issue impacting New York?

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Featured Book Reviewer
The country is about two months from the Republican convention.
What is the status of the 14th amendment by this time? Ratification is still pending.
The national debt and interest payment questions hang heavy over the country.
The Republicans and the national banks are still very concerned about keeping the Reconstruction effort going and preventing that debt from being repudiated or paid with $1B worth of paper money.
What else is going on? Grant wants the temporary settlement with the Lakota to hold.
I think this impeachment drama is designed to control Johnson, keep Chase from the Democratic nomination and intimidate Seward, with whom the Republicans are not pleased.
Keeping the nation immobile for awhile was not a bad strategy.
The risk is that instead of encouraging General Grant to accept the nomination, he just begins to withdraw from politics and draw his salary. Whether the Republicans can win the election without Grant is doubtful.
What is happening with immigration by 1868, which would be another issue impacting New York?
I think that the Radicals were genuinely afraid that Johnson would permanently derail Reconstruction and strand blacks without the vote in the South.

Ole Miss

2nd Lieutenant
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Pat
There is no doubt that you are correct regarding the Radicals fear of Johnson's actions. I can only imagine the vitriol created by Butler and Stevens flavored by that of their minions and would loved to had been there for their plotting sessions. Butler, a pre-war democrat, coddled by Lincoln till after the 1864 election and Stevens a constant pain in Abe's derriere had to be noxious combination that he was spared from by death.
Regards
David

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Featured Book Reviewer
Pat
There is no doubt that you are correct regarding the Radicals fear of Johnson's actions. I can only imagine the vitriol created by Butler and Stevens flavored by that of their minions and would loved to had been there for their plotting sessions. Butler, a pre-war democrat, coddled by Lincoln till after the 1864 election and Stevens a constant pain in Abe's derriere had to be noxious combination that he was spared from by death.
Regards
David
Thanks for the comment.
Butler made the opening statement for the prosecution, which I will post next week.

In 1865 Butler was angry with Grant that he had been relieved of command and Grant was not happy with Butler either, for taking personal command of the Fort Fisher expedition.
Three years later and Butler is working as a Republican and Grant is considering crossing the political Rubicon, and joining Butler as an active politician.

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Featured Book Reviewer
In 1865 Butler was angry with Grant that he had been relieved of command and Grant was not happy with Butler either, for taking personal command of the Fort Fisher expedition.
Three years later and Butler is working as a Republican and Grant is considering crossing the political Rubicon, and joining Butler as an active politician.
I am not sure what their relationship was in 1868.

At the center of the issue is Lyman Trumbull, by no means a conservative.
While other senators may have accepted money, I doubt Trumbull accepted any.
But by May, it was clear that the impeachment threat itself had neutralized Johnson, and the top army people were willing to have Schofield take over for Stanton. The Civil War experience imposed some discipline on politics.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!