03/02, March 2nd In Civil War History

Jimklag

Lt. Colonel
on this day 5.gif

On this day in Civil War history
Compiled by Mitchell Werksman and Jim Klag

March 2, 1793 - Sam Houston, American born 1st President of Republic of Texas (1836-38, 1841-44) who helped bring Texas into the United States as a constituent state, born in Rockbridge County, Virginia (d. 1863)

March 2, 1807 - Congress bans the importation of slaves beginning January 1, 1808.

March 2, 1828 - Jefferson Columbus Davis, American Brevet Major General (Union Army), born in Clark County, Indiana (d. 1879)

March 2, 1829 - Carl Schurz, German-American journalist and Major General (Union Army), born in Erftstadt, Germany (d. 1906)

March 2, 1833 - Congress passes the Tariff Act of 1833, sometimes called the Compromise Tariff, proposed by Henry Clay and calling for the gradual reduction of tariffs to the 1816 levels, ending the Nullification Crisis.

March 2, 1860 - Classes begin at the Seminary of Higher Learning (the future LSU) at Pineville, LA.

March 2, 1861 - The US Congress votes to create the Dakota Territory, consisting of North and South Dakota, Montana and Wyoming.

March 2, 1861 - The Washington Peace Convention sponsors a Constitutional amendment in Congress by Senator John J. Crittenden, of KY, which is defeated, and climaxes the end of the Peace Convention, as it now becomes clear there will be no compromise.

March 2, 1861 - The US Congress votes to create the Nevada Territory.

March 2, 1861 - The US revenue cutter, Henry Dodge, is seized at Galveston, TX, by the Texas state troops.

March 2, 1861 - The U. S. Congress passes a proposed 13th Amendment stating that the Congress will not abolish or interfere with slavery where it exists. The amendment is never ratified.

March 2, 1861 - Texas Secessionist Convention reconvenes.

March 2, 1861 - Congress passes the Morrill Tariff Bill.

March 2, 1862 - Brig. Gen. Frederick West Lander, USA, dies at Camp Chase, Paw Paw, WV, from camp fever (dysentery) contracted the previous weeks while moving his command in the Shenandoah Valley, VA.

March 2, 1862 - Columbus, KY, is evacuated by Maj. Gen. Leonidas Polk, CSA, and occupied by Brig. Gen. George W. Cullum, USA. (Mar 2-3)

March 2, 1862 - Skirmish near New Madrid, MO.

March 2, 1862 - Albuquerque, New Mexico Territory, is abandoned by the Union forces under Capt. Herbert M. Enos, USA.

March 2, 1862 - Naval engagement at Pittsburg Landing, TN, with the US gunboats, Lexington, and Tyler.

March 2, 1863 - Congress rejects a call by President Lincoln to adopt a standard railroad gauge of 5 feet and adopts the 4 foot, 8 and one-half inches gauge. It is sometimes called the Congressional gauge.

March 2, 1863 - Federal expedition from New Orleans, LA, to the mouth of the Rio Grande River, TX. (Mar 2-30)

March 2, 1863 - Skirmish near Neosho, MO.

March 2, 1863 - Skirmish near Eagleville, TN.

March 2, 1863 - Federal scout from La Grange, TN, to Hudsonville and Salem, MS, and Saulsbury, TN. (Mar 2-3)

March 2, 1863 - Skirmish near Petersburg, TN.

March 2, 1863 - Skirmish near Aldie, VA, as Union cavalry are surprised while feeding their horses and with many captured by Rebel cavalry.

March 2, 1863 - The US Congress approves the massive officer promotions to November 29, 1862.

March 2, 1864 - Federal expedition from Larkin's Landing to Gourd Neck and Guntersville, AL. (Mar 2-3)

March 2, 1864 - Skirmish at Canton, MS, the Meridian, MS, Expedition.

March 2, 1864 - Col. Ulric Dalgren, USA, son of Rear Admiral John Dahlgren, USN, is ambushed and killed at Mantapike Hill, near King and Queen Court House by Confederate forces led by Capt. E. Fox, with orders on Dalgren's body to burn the Capitol of Richmond, and kill the Confederate government, including President Jefferson Davis. These orders will be vehemently denied as being authorized by the Union government. Gen. Robert E. Lee, USA, sends photostatic copies of the captured orders to Maj. Gen. George G. Meade, USA, commanding the Federal Army of the Potomac. Kilpatrick does not deny that his orders were indorsed in red ink "approved" over his official signature; just that he infers his original orders had been changed to include the above, subtly accusing the Confederates of tampering with his orders.

March 2, 1864 - Skirmish near Old Church, VA, with Brig. Gen. Hugh Judson Kilpatrick, USA.

March 2, 1864 - Skirmish near Walkerton, VA, as Brig. Gen. Judson Kilpatrick's Cavalry raid on Richmond, VA, ends in total failure.

March 2, 1864 - U. S. Senate confirms Ulysses S. Grant as Lieutenant General.

March 2, 1865 - The siege of Petersburg is ongoing.

March 2, 1865 - Brig. Gen. Benjamin H. Grierson, USA, assumes the command of the cavalry forces in the Military Division of West Mississippi.

March 2, 1865 - Skirmish at Chesterfield, SC.

March 2, 1865 - Maj. Gen. William T. Sherman's, USA 20th US Army Corps occupies Chesterfield, SC.

March 2, 1865 - Skirmish at Thompson's Creek, near Chesterfield, SC.

March 2, 1865 - Federal operations about Athens, TN, and within 14 miles of Murphy, as the Federals extract a heavy levy on guerrillas' lives today. (Mar 2-4)

March 2, 1865 - The Federal occupation of Staunton, VA, by Maj. Gen. Philip H. Sheridan, USA.

March 2, 1865 - Affair at Swoope's Depot, VA, with Maj. Gen. Philip H. Sheridan, USA.

March 2, 1865 - The Engagement at Waynesboro, VA, where Brig. Gen. George Armstrong Custer, USA, completely routs the Confederates under Lieut. Gen. Jubal A. Early, CSA, capturing over 1,000 and over 200 wagon of supplies. The Confederate remnants March toward Richmond, VA. This engagement is effectively the last in the Shenandoah Valley, VA.

March 2, 1865 - Robert E. Lee sends a message to Ulysses S. Grant asking for a conference to "iron out differences" between the North and the South.

March 2, 1865 - Freedman's Bureau founded for Black Education.

March 2, 1867 - Federal army restores military rule to Mississippi (2nd Reconstruction).

March 2, 1867 - Congress passes the Tenure of Office Act, denying the right of the President to remove officials who had been appointed with the consent of Congress.

March 2, 1894 - Jubal Anderson Early dies, Lynchburg, Virginia

March 2, 1864 - Col. Ulric Dalgren, USA, son of Rear Admiral John Dahlgren, USN, is ambushed and killed at Mantapike Hill, near King and Queen Court House by Confederate forces led by Capt. E. Fox, with orders on Dalgren's body to burn the Capitol of Richmond, and kill the Confederate government, including President Jefferson Davis. These orders will be vehemently denied as being authorized by the Union government. Gen. Robert E. Lee, USA, sends photostatic copies of the captured orders to Maj. Gen. George G. Meade, USA, commanding the Federal Army of the Potomac. Kilpatrick does not deny that his orders were indorsed in red ink "approved" over his official signature; just that he infers his original orders had been changed to include the above, subtly accusing the Confederates of tampering with his orders.
https://americancivilwar.com/statepic/va/va125.html

March 2, 1865 - The Engagement at Waynesboro, VA, where Brig. Gen. George Armstrong Custer, USA, completely routs the Confederates under Lieut. Gen. Jubal A. Early, CSA, capturing over 1,000 and over 200 wagon of supplies. The Confederate remnants March toward Richmond, VA. This engagement is effectively the last in the Shenandoah Valley, VA.
https://www.theclio.com/web/entry?id=39180

Battle of Walkerton:
Today marks the 158th​ anniversary of the Battle of Walkerton. This battle took place on March 2, 1864. The location of the battle was Walkerton in King and Queen County Virginia.

Result of Battle: Confederate Victory :CSA1stNat:

Confederate Army Commander:
Major General Wade Hampton (South Carolina) 1818 – 1902

Union Army Commander:
Brig. General Hugh Judson Kilpatrick (New Jersey) 1836 – 1881
Colonel Ulric Dahlgren (Pennsylvania) 1842 – 1864 – (Killed)

Battle of Waynesboro:
Today marks the 157th​ anniversary of the Battle of Waynesboro. This battle took place on March 2, 1865, in Augusta County Virginia.

Result of Battle: Union victory :us34stars:

Union Army Commander:
Major General Philip Sheridan (New York) 1831 – 1888
Brig. General George Armstrong Custer (Ohio) 1839 – 1876

Union Army Strength:
2, 500

Union Army casualties and losses: 9

Confederate Army Commander:
Lt. General Jubal A. Early (Virginia) 1816 – 1894

Confederate Army strength: 1,600

Confederate Army casualties and losses: 1,500

Waynesboro 11.jpg

Waynesboro 111.jpg

The Battle of Waynesboro marked the end of Jubal Early's military career. Early and a few hundred of his men escaped the battlefield, but there were too few to form an effective fighting force. Four weeks later Lee relieved Early of his command and sent him the following letter explaining why.
HD. QRS., C. S. ARMIES, 30th March, 1865.​

LT.-GENERAL J. A. EARLY, FRANKLIN CO., VA.​

General,--My telegram will have informed you that I deem a change of commanders in your Department necessary; but it is due to your zealous and patriotic services that I should explain the reasons that prompted my action. The situation of affairs is such that we can neglect no means calculated to develop the resources we possess to the greatest extent, and make them as efficient as possible. To this end, it is essential that we should have the cheerful and hearty support of the people, and the full confidence of the soldiers, without which our efforts would be embarrassed and our means of resistance weakened. I have reluctantly arrived at the conclusion that you cannot command the united and willing co-operation which is so essential to success. Your reverses in the Valley, of which the public and the army judge chiefly by the results, have, I fear, impaired your influence both with the people and the soldiers, and would add greatly to the difficulties which will, under any circumstances, attend our military operations in S. W. Virginia. While my own confidence in your ability, zeal, and devotion to the cause is unimpaired, I have nevertheless felt that I could not oppose what seems to be the current of opinion, without injustice to your reputation and injury to the service. I therefore felt constrained to endeavor to find a commander who would be more likely to develop the strength and resources of the country, and inspire the soldiers with confidence; and to accomplish this purpose, I thought it proper to yield my own opinion, and to defer to that of these to whom alone we can look for support.​

I am sure that you will understand and appreciate my motives, and no one will be more ready than yourself to acquiesce in any measures which the interests of the country may seem to require, regardless of all personal considerations.​

Thanking you for the fidelity and energy with which you have always supported my efforts, and for the courage and devotion you have ever manifested in the service of the country,​

I am, very respectfully and truly
Your ob't servant,​
R. E. LEE,​
Gen'l.​

Back