March 18 In Civil War History

Jimklag

Lt. Colonel
This Date in Civil War history

March 18, 1782 - John C. Calhoun born, Calhoun Mills, Abbeville District (now Mount Carmel, McCormick County), S.C.

March 18, 1861 - By a vote of 39-35 the Arkansas convention defeats a secession motion. Instead, they vote to allow a general election in August to determine the question of secession.

March 18, 1862 - Jefferson Davis moves Judah Benjamin from the War Department to be Secretary of State, replacing R. M. T. Hunter. George Randolph of Virginia is appointed Secretary of War.

March 18, 1862 - The siege of Island No. 10 is ongoing.

Mar 18, 1865 - Congress of Confederate States of American adjourns for last time.

March 18 - Wilson's Raid on Selma, Alabama. Gen. James H. Wilson led his Union Army Cavalry Corps to destroy Southern manufacturing facilities and was opposed unsuccessfully by a much smaller force under Confederate Lt. Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest.

March 18, 1865 - Sherman's North Carolina campaign - prelude to battle. At 2 p.m., Sherman wrote to the Right Wing commander, Major-General Oliver O. Howard, to detail which roads the columns were to use while closing on Goldsboro. Sherman assessment of the situation was mixed:
"I think the enemy is concentrated about [Smithfield] and I cannot make out whether Goldsborough is held in force or not. I think it probable that Joe Johnston will try to prevent our getting Goldsborough."

March 18, 1865 - The siege of Petersburg is ongoing.

March 18, 1976 - Kentucky ratifies the 14th Amendment -- 111 years after the amendment's passage by Congress.

Back