March 1, 1861: Sec. of War Cameron dismisses Gen. David Twiggs

In regard to the excellent post above by @trice it should be remembered that one of Twiggs subordinates was also harassed and threatened by the secessionist mob while passing through in San Antonio - none other than Colonel Robert E. Lee, then commander of the 2nd U. S. Cavalry. He also saw no reason at the time to cooperate with the Texas secessionists.

In regard to the excellent post above by @trice it should be remembered that one of Twiggs subordinates was also harassed and threatened by the secessionist mob while passing through in San Antonio - none other than Colonel Robert E. Lee, then commander of the 2nd U. S. Cavalry. He also saw no reason at the time to cooperate with the Texas secessionists.
That is because he was a Virginian!

Interesting posts, and as mentioned, seems like there was a lot going on here. I tend to think that at a minimum, its not as black and white as often painted. If Twiggs had stayed with the Union, but had taken the exact same course of action that led to the surrender of federal property, installations and soldiers in Texas, I doubt that history would be as harsh.

Twiggs knew all along that he was going to side with the Confederacy. He warned General Scott on January 15, 1861 that he would go with Georgia when she left the Union and Georgia seceded 4 days later.

San Antonio, January 15, 1861. Lieut. Gen. W. Scott, U. 8. Army, Washington:

General : Yours, through Colonel Lay, of the 29th [28th] December is received. I am placed in a most embarrassing situation. I am a Southern man, and all these States will secede. What is left will not be the u United States,?? and I know not what is to become of the troops now in this department.
Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi, and Georgia will certainly secede. As for coercion, that I consider impossible to keep them in the Union. A guard would have to be put at every house in the country, and that would not keep them in the Union. The feeling is universal, and the people are determined to secede. Coercion might have done at first; now it cannot. As soon as I know Georgia has separated from the Union I must, of course, follow her.
I most respectfully ask to be relieved in the command of this department on or before the 4th of March next. All I have is in the South, and as my health will not allow me to take an active part in the scenes that will probably be enacted, I must be a looker-on.
I am, General, with the greatest respect and regard, your obedient servant,
D. E. TWIGGS,
Brevet Major-General, U. 8. Army.
O.R. Series I, Vol. I, Ch. I, pg.581

On February 7, 1861 Twiggs met with Confederate commissioners and told them he would surrender all United States troops and property. When Ben McCulloch and his men show up in San Antonio on February 16, 1861 to demand Twiggs' surrender along with all Federal soldiers and Federal property, he feigns surprise in front of his troops although he already knew what was coming. Twiggs leaves for New Orleans and is given a Confederate hero's welcome upon arrival, being promoted to Major General, CSA on May 22, 1861.

Twiggs: the wrong man, at the wrong place, at the wrong time.

Harry Turtledove wrote an alternative history where Robert E. Lee commanded the troops confronting McCullough. Lee acts, in this account, quite differently than Twiggs.

I recall that Lee actually did disapprove of Twiggs', let's call them...actions.

Officers resigning to "go south" was considered acceptable, but it was an individual act. Twiggs using his authority as a United States officer to hand over his command to the rebels was a different matter.

Does anyone know of other cases where resigning officers committed similar treachery?

Could you give us a brief description? As I mentioned earlier, this is a what-if I find intriguing. Thanks.
Its a short story that Andy Hall linked to. Lee and his US troops defend the Alamo against the secessionists led by a somewhat villainous Ben McCulloch(but its hard to look too good against Lee). Lee can't see his way, as a US officer, to surrendering, and being a skilled officer, makes the Alamo a tough nut to crack. Finally he surrenders, and is sent North, feted as the hero of the Alamo, much as Anderson was after Sumter. He meets Abraham Lincoln, and the two discuss secession. Lee refuses to serve against Virginia, so Lincoln appoints him to command Union forces in the West, a position he accepts.

Back