Marathon, Waterloo, and Gettysburg the most famous battles?

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
In the April 2019 issue of Civil War Times magazine it states that Marathon, Waterloo, and Gettysburg are the most famous battles. Would this be accurate? I do wonder how many Americans are all that well informed about the Battle of Marathon. Perhaps Civil War Times is only talking about Americans and residents in other countries might see things different. What do forum members see as the most famous battle of all times?

the battle of Skagerak was a major German victory

the overall comparison of fleets was a draw

psychological it was a British victory sind the high command didn't want to risk ther fleet afterwards

but You lost the battle by margines no British fleet had to endure before an after
(ok not counting those two Uboot operations - life bait squad & Scaba Flow)
I’m going to resist pointing out the many flaws in your argument, wouldn’t want to upset the red writers or derail the thread. Tally ho old boy.

Vote Here:
Yep. Outside of Byzantine, British history is my fav!! About to jump into a BIG book about pre-Roman.
If I can be of any help or if you need to know something about a specific location here in Blighty I’d be more than happy to help, I’ll be your eyes on the ground so to speak, PM me if I can be of assistance.:thumbsup:

Vote Here:
I have always been partial to Waterloo as a battle and then Gettysburg. Not because I think of Gettysburg as a lesser battle, it is because of an interest I have in the Napoleonic Wars. I have also played the SPI/TSR games Wellington's Victory and Terrible Swift Sword. I have also played a game about Marathon. I do play some older historic games. I enjoy watching Docs on European Military history, such as Jutland, The British Campaign in South Africa against the Zulus and others.

Vote Here:
I have always been partial to Waterloo as a battle and then Gettysburg. Not because I think of Gettysburg as a lesser battle, it is because of an interest I have in the Napoleonic Wars. I have also played the SPI/TSR games Wellington's Victory and Terrible Swift Sword. I have also played a game about Marathon. I do play some older historic games.
What about Isandlwana and Rorkes Drift, are Americans familiar with those battles, I say battles, one was a complete massacre (British version of Little Big Horn) and the other was a fight for survival.

Vote Here:
What about Isandlwana and Rorkes Drift, are Americans familiar with those battles, I say battles, one was a complete massacre (British version of Little Big Horn) and the other was a fight for survival.
I am familiar with them and the subsequent Boer War battles as well. I would venture to guess I am in a distinct minority so far as American knowledge of them goes.

Vote Here:
Some may be familiar with Rorke's Drift thanks to the movie Zulu . I always liked that movie though , like most historical movies , it wasn't 100% accurate .

Vote Here:
Some may be familiar with Rorke's Drift thanks to the movie Zulu . I always liked that movie though , like most historical movies , it wasn't 100% accurate .
The movie did a great disservice to the men that fought at Rorkes Drift, there were plenty of VCs awarded for that battle but the truth is that those VCs even though they were deserved, were a distraction from the massacre at Isandlwana which happen earlier that day.
There is a movie about Isandlwana and it’s fairly accurate.

Vote Here:
I'm familiar with those battles because of an interest in British history and also because my dad watches both Zulu and Zulu Dawn with some regularity. :giggle: I don't necessarily know how well-known they'd be for folks who aren't into movies or history, though.

Our group on here probably isn't very representative of American historical knowledge since most of us seem interested in military history or just history in general, which isn't true of many folks. :frown:

Vote Here:
Back