Marathon, Waterloo, and Gettysburg the most famous battles?

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

Waterloo50

Major
Forum Host
Silver Patron
I think both American and British people plus most Germans and those from the Netherlands would know about or at least have heard of Operation Market Garden (A bridge to far). If any American claims to not know about Market Garden and the story of the 82nd and 101st Airborne then there’s something seriously lacking in the U.S education system.

major bill

Colonel
Forum Host
Well I did start college for two years at a community college. At the start of college Western Civilization the instructor pointed at Greece and ask a question. The student next to me answered but mistook Greece for being Germany. I did find it hard to believe a high school graduate did not know were Greece and Germany were on a map. I am guessing that student struggled with the Western Civilization class.

leftyhunter

Colonel
I think both American and British people plus most Germans and those from the Netherlands would know about or at least have heard of Operation Market Garden (A bridge to far). If any American claims to not know about Market Garden and the story of the 82nd and 101st Airborne then there’s something seriously lacking in the U.S education system.
I went to Santa Monica High school and we never discussed Operation Market Garden. We did know about D-Day. Santa Monica is a very upper income small city .
Leftyhunter

Kurt G

First Sergeant
You are right about gamers . I was talking to a 20 year old once who nearly knew as much as I did about WW2 tanks because he was a gamer .

gary

Captain
I read Herodotus and Thucydides when I worked the graveyard shift in the '70s. I also have a couple of shelves of books on the Napoleonic era and quite a number on Waterloo. Boney should have waited a few months for the Allied Coalition to fall apart.

Kurt G

First Sergeant
When I was in college I took a lot of history classes . One I took was American history to the Civil War . The next semester I took the next course in the series by the same professor. It was Reconstruction to WW2 . We completely skipped the Civil War . It was way back in the 70s and the professor did not like to discuss military history . He spent about an hour on the war itself . There were so many important aspects of the war that weren't military , but he didn't seem concerned .

Waterloo50

Major
Forum Host
Silver Patron
I think most savvy English speaking people would recognize Hastings.

As American battles go Custer’s Last Stand, aka the Little Big Horn, is probably right up there.
Ah yes, Hastings where King Harold uttered those famous last words, ‘Watch where your pointing that effing bow, you’ll have somebody’s eye out if your not careful’.

Scott1967

Corporal
Battle of Towton 29th March Yorkshire England 1461.

Est Dead 28,000 that's dead btw

War of the Roses

1 small stone slab to honour the dead , Nobody has ever heard of the battle in Britain

It is well that Americans honour their dead because in Britain apart from Nov 11th end of the first World War we have forgotten how to.

dlofting

First Sergeant
Bosworth Field ended the Plantagenet dynasty and began the Tudors. Culloden initiated the destruction of the highlander's way of life. Chalons was Attila's first defeat....it all depends on what makes a battle famous in your/my opinion.

Carronade

1st Lieutenant
Many Americans love the Battle of Gettysburg. I am not all that sure it is even the most decisive battles of the Civil War. Who won the Battle of Gettysburg may have mattered less than who won the Battle of Shiloh. If Grand had been defected and his army divine into the river, This would have completely changed the Civil War. A victorious Confederacy on the offensive in the Western Theater may have been a game changer.
Trafalgar. Changed the course of history by giving Britain complete naval power. Are naval battles included here?
Famous as they are, neither of those battles changed anything.

Gettysburg was no more decisive than Fredericksburg or Chancellorsville. The AofP and ANV returned once more to their camps. The rest of the war went on uninterrupted. Lee was even able to detach Longstreet to the west to achieve the Confederates' only major victory in that theater.

Britain was the dominant naval power before Trafalgar, with the French and allied navies blockaded in their ports. The naval campaign of 1805 was Napoleon's attempt to break the deadlock and concentrate superior forces in the Biscay theater to take temporary control of the English Channel, an endeavor in which he succeeded, only to have his forces defeated in Sir Robert Calder's little-known battle of July 22. By the time Villeneuve sortied from Cadiz, l'Empereur had given up on his fleet achieving anything decisive. The naval war went on as before until 1814, British fleets blockading their enemies and chasing down occasional squadrons which slipped out to make mischief.

p.s. either of these battles would have been closer to decisive if the other side had won

Last edited:
The current generations of Americans believed William Wallace cried "FREEDOM!" as he was being drawn and quartered. They believe that John Wayne fought WWII single-handed. They believe that the Battle of the Bulge is a diet program and Jim Garrison really knew who killed JFK. The Hollywood version of history trumps all amongst the "average" Americans.