Manual of arms question.

brian_swartz

Cadet
Today I was in a parade with another unit.Everything went fine,however we were frequently called to support arm while on the march.My question is it correct to use support arms while on the march?
I know that it is correct for when falling in ,roll call. But I know something just don't seem right using it while marching.
Is it correct to use support arms while marching?

Support arms at roll call? It would seem that order arms would be in order then. It certainly causes less fatigue than any other position except "rest." Of course, I'm only a private and don't know the mind of the sergeants and officers, my betters.
proud.gif

I've done support arms on the march many times in my 10 years in reenacting. It helps relieve fatigue to the right arm. It may not feel right to you because it's not in common use in your area. It's pretty commonly used here in the Army of the Pacific.

Zou

Yes, Support Arms is ok while on the march. An officer would often vary between Support Arms, Shoulder Arms and Right Shoulder Shift while on a march... though in a campaighn situation the command "route step arms at will" might be given (not certain if that's the correct term) and weapons would be carried in whatever way was most comfortable.

My reading of parades however, seems to pretty much show shoulder Arms & Right Shoulder shift being the more common.

Hope that helps some

Thanks for yours responses. I have a bit of winter rust drill wise. For roll call we have come to it was either shoulder arms or support arms and as your name is called out you answer here and come to order arms.
To clear something up I am not saying support arms on the march is not correct. I am asking if it is correct.

Shane. You mention of your reading of parades. If you have some info on the subject please feel free to send it to me , I would appreciate it.
Thanks Brian

I've read a reference to the Grand Review of the men switching several times between Right Shoulder Shift & Shoulder Arms with Support Arms thrown in a couple times to rest the arm. This was a letter from a man in 2nd MN.

I've been doing some reading on the GAR of late and found that for the shorter parades Rioght Shoulder Shift & shoulder arms seemed to be the standard... Keep in mind this is post war. I should have clarified that in my original post. Sorry.

I'm in the same boat drill wise and am planning to pick up Dom Debelo's work on it in a couple weeks... I hope it's still in stock.

We have always fallen in for roll call at support arms, then gone to order arms after answering. I'm going to check Dal Bello's book.

Support arms was often used on marches to vary the position of the rifle or musket to avoid fatigue.

"On Route Step"

From Gilham, 1860
1. Route step. 2. MARCH.
At the command march, the front rank will continue the step of twenty-eight inches, the rear rank will take, by gradually shortening the step, the distance of twenty-eight inches from the front rank: the men will carry their arms at will.

Hardee, 1855 is identical.

(Message edited by jeffdavislegion on July 31, 2004)

Back