Mansion House Hotel, Alexandria, Virginia

AndyHall

Colonel
Mansion House.jpg

Library of Congress photo.

I've undeleted this thread. Although there is already a discussion about this photo in another forum, this photo still deserves to be seen and discussed as a photograph in this forum. I'm sure there is more to learn about this photo.

One, I think, but if it's built like one I'm familiar with here from that period, the taller, center section has load-bearing walls on its "sides" running from the front to the back of the building.

In my g-g grandfather's letter dated December 1, 1862 he describes his voyage up the Potomac to Ft. Lincoln aboard the steamship USS Philadelphia. In paragraph 3 he notes, "We let go the anchor at Alexandria. I noticed (in Alexandria) a very long building lit up. I guess it was a hotel converted into a hospital." Wally Owen, who is the chief historian at the Fort Ward Museum and Historic Site told me that he believes what he saw was the Mansion House Hotel. It must have been an impressive sight at night!

https://wbp2ndpaha.wordpress.com/december-1862/

One, I think, but if it's built like one I'm familiar with here from that period, the taller, center section has load-bearing walls on its "sides" running from the front to the back of the building.

According to the Alexandria Historical Society, James Green bought the Bank of Alexandria building in 1848, then added a 4 story building on the east side.

Back