First Bull Run Manassas cannon question

jzark

Cadet
Hello - I have been trying to learn more about Manassas, VA. In particular, why are the cannons at the Manassas museum pointed north, then the two cannons at the old Manassas Courthouse (Peace jubilee memorial) point south, and finally the cannons at the Manassas battlefields point north again?

It may have to do with what units were at those positions (Union or Confederate) at the time of the battle, in which direction they were pointed and sometimes they just place them because they look better pointed that way. Welcome aboard from Alabama.

Last edited:
Howdy from Texas! Many of the cannons on the actual battlefield represent particular batteries that fought on that ground, so they are probably pointing in the direction that the battery did in the battle.

Welcome from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

If you go to Henry House Hill the cannon representing Griffin's and Rickett's Batteries are aimed mostly to the east and northeast while the Confederate batteries supporting Jackson, Bee and Bartow (the Rockbridge, Wise, Thomas and Staunton batteries) faced west. Just the way the battle played out.

Welcome from NYC. I would think they point the direction they do because it was the position from which they did the most damage. Batteries were moved from point A to B, and in the cases like that of the Stonewall Brigade on Henry House Hill, they changed hands several times as the battle seesawed.

Welcome from Missouri. I can only speculate, but I agree they probably represent the orientation of batteries at specific times in the course of the battle. I will check back in because I'm sure more knowledgable people will fill us in.

As far as I'm aware, there are batteries all over the field that point in various directions. Like others have stated, it's determined by the direction of combat on the battlefield. There are several batteries placed around the visitors center and it would look like they're only place haphazardly until you look at the information boards that have diagrams of the battle. Then there are batteries on Matthew's Hill that are pointed over at Henry Hill.

As far as the cannons in old town Manassas I'm not sure. I've never been by those two spots.

Back